Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Sadness

My first disappointment with a recipe from Cuisine at Home. Normally I wouldn't write about a bad recipe, although I lurve reading comments and am amazed that anyone would even take the time to make a comment, this blog really is a way to organize all my sucessfull attempts at recipes, new and old. So writing about something I will never make again probably doesn't make much sense. BUT - I guess I can not be a true critic to this recipe as there are a couple components of it that I've never had before - so I don't know if the recipe is bad or if it's just my palate. So I'm posting it and if anyone does give it a try, maybe let me know.. is it me or is it a yucky recipe? heehee

I've never had polenta before. I've seen it and I've heard about it, but I've never tried it. The flavor was very good, I'll give it that. But the texture of this soft polenta didn't bode well with me. I've got other recipes where the polenta is more "solid" for total lack of a better word, and I'm definitely going to try them now just for the taste factor. Hopefully one later this week as a matter of fact. I'd also never had shiitake mushrooms before. They are delish, but the recipe did not say to not use the stems and wooo baby are they tough and fibrous. Ick. I'll definitely use them again in other recipes, but will throw the stems out for sure. Another ingredient was dry sherry. I cook with wine all the time and always enjoy the concentrated flavor in the background of the recipes but the sherry paired with the balsamic in this recipe seemed to cancel out every other ingredient. Not so good. But again.. maybe this is just me. =)


mroom ragu

Mushroom Ragù With Soft Polenta

For the Ragù
1/4 c. shallots, sliced
1 lb. assorted mushrooms, sliced or quartered (4 cups) *Recipe suggested a mix of crimini, shiitake and button mushrooms so that's what I used. It also suggested not to use Portobellos as they turn the sauce black.
3/4 c. tomatoes, diced *I used canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 c. vegetable broth *I used chicken broth, didn't have vegetable broth.
1/4 c. dry sherry or Madeira
2 TBS. balsamic vinegar
1 TBS. tomato paste
1 TBS. chopped, fresh parsley
1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Polenta
1 c. vegetable broth *Again, I used chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Pinch of white pepper
1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
2 TBS. cream cheese, cubed (1 oz.)
2 TBS. Parmesan cheese, grated

For the Ragù:
Saute shallots in 1 TBS. oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until soft. Increase heat to high, add half the mushrooms, and saute until browned; remove from pan. Add additional TBS. of oil to the pan and saute remaining mushrooms, then return the reserved mushrooms to the pan.
Add tomatoes, broth, sherry, vinegar and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Finish with herbs and seasonings.

For the Polenta:
Bring broth, cream and seasonings to a boil in a sauce pan. Whisk in cornmeal; reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Fold in cheeses before serving.

Serve Ragù over Polenta.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Sadness"

 

Blogger Sarah R said ... (12/25/2009 5:06 PM) : 

how many would you say this serves? I'd love to try out a polenta recipe on the Italian side of the family!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (12/25/2009 5:12 PM) : 

I'd say 2, Sarah. This was made a very long time ago, though, so I can't be exactly sure. You might find it on their website, http://www.cuisineathome.com

Good luck!
xoxo

 

post a comment