Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Feeling a bit Pesci

Any Wayne's World fans out there? :D

Well my plan for this evening was to make my entry for this month's WCC event, hosted by the cutest cookin' hot mama of all time Ali (which if you aren't familiar.. and how can you not be? This month's theme is Cinco de Mayo and entries are due by May 15th.. so if you haven't contributed your fabulous latin dish yet.. please do so!) but I forgot I had a couple filets of Walleye in my fridge that I could not let go bad. If you aren't from the land of the Great Lakes, Walleye is a fresh water fish, which is firm bodied with a mild taste. They are an absolutely wonderful fish for pan frying or baking, especially if you can get your hands on one that has been freshly caught ;) Mine was caught last summer by Hubbs and flash frozen to keep us in stock during the winter when we needed a fix. Normally I pan fry these fish, but I wanted something lighter this evening so I decided to just wing it and see what I could do by baking it. As you'll see below, it didn't turn out to be the most photogenic dish I've ever made (even for the crap cam), but it was hella good!

Walleye w/Chard

There really isn't a "recipe" so to speak.. all I did was thinly slice a couple medium sized shallots and chopped a few cloves of garlic. I placed these on the bottom of a 8" x 8" pyrex baking dish and then covered them just barely with chicken stock. I placed the filets of Walleye on top of the shallot/garlic bed, then S & P'd to taste, placed small dollops of butter all over them and squeezed 1/2 a lemon over the whole thing. I baked at 350ยบ for 4 minutes, uncovered. Then covered the dish loosely with foil and continued baking for another 9 minutes until the fish was easily flaked with a fork. My side was fresh from the market Swiss Chard, which was prepared simply by sauteeing it with minced garlic and a tiny bit of chicken stock.

The onions and garlic permeated the fish and gave it a great flavor, without over powering it and the chard was so delish without any bitterness at all. Truthfully, if I could substitute swiss chard for spinach all the time, I would.. but alas, I can't find it year round here. It's a great leafy green veggie that never has a bitter taste nor have I ever encountered any bitterness with it like I do sometimes with spinach.

So if you have the urge for a light mild fish dish.. try this, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it turned out for something that I just made up as I went along =)

Labels: ,

Comments on "Feeling a bit Pesci"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/09/2006 10:36 PM) : 

I love fish but eat far too little of it. I'm always saying I should eat it more often. Now your recipe will give me an excuse to try it!

:o)

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (5/09/2006 10:58 PM) : 

sweet -- how much do I owe you for saying I'm hot? hehe

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/10/2006 5:22 AM) : 

Ivonne - I'm not sure how much validity there is to this, but I read that incorporating more fish into your diet lowers your chances of Alzheimer's disease. Since then, I've tried to get in at least one fish dish a week.. the Alzheimer's thing could be malarky, but we enjoy fish so much and really only ate it during the summer (when he caught it), now we've got this "reasoning" to try all different kinds of fish throughout the year =) Yum! If you can't find Walleye, Talapia is another mild flavored fish that would work really well with this recipe =)

Ali - lol you're silly :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/10/2006 6:46 AM) : 

It's crazy that you should post this - I was trying to coordinate a 'date' with my mom so that we could go to the fish markets and get some fresh fish...I have been having some CRAZY hankering for snapper, but don't trust the ones in the supermarket :/

What is this swiss chard that all you overseas bloggers seem enamoured with? I must admit that I've never seen that veggie here. It kind of reminds me of silverbeet, but silverbeet has a white stalk!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/10/2006 2:30 PM) : 

Okay this is what our swiss chard looks like. By looking at pictures of "silverbeet" it looks to be the same kind of veggie, just the different colored stalk as you mentioned. Have you ate silverbeet? Swiss chard (after you tear the leaves off the fiberous stalk) wilts down just like spinach and has a very.. uhm.. "green" earthy taste, if that makes sense? I kinda suck describing swiss chard. lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/10/2006 11:29 PM) : 

That sounds exactly like silverbeet! Have also been doing some googling during my lunch break and from what I can find online, it looks as though they are the same thing!

Right, I think a trip to the market is due. You'd love it - the Queen Victoria market is one of Melbourne (Australia's) icons :) Takes up almost an entire city block!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/11/2006 6:45 AM) : 

Yes I would love it.. there is nothing I like more than when Hubbs and I visit the farmer's market on the weekends! 'kay well when I get me arse over there - you will take me, yes? :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/11/2006 11:40 PM) : 

you bloody well better believe it mate! (how AUSSIE is that sentence? Bwa-ha-ha-ha!)

Ooooh lordy, there is so much to do in Melbourne in terms of food, and heaps of stuff relatively close to the city - the Queen Vic market, the Collingwood Children's farm, Ceres sustainable living farm...not to mention entire streets which are dedicated to just restaurants! And all this within about 20 mins travel of the city centre ;)

Go on, tell me I'm lucky! Hehehe!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/12/2006 2:10 PM) : 

You are WAY lucky my friend! One day I will visit Australia. One day..

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (5/13/2006 12:41 AM) : 

I AM feeling a bit pesci! I could, or could not, eat fish. I'm feeling pesci!

hee, hee, hee... I had the biggest fictional crush on Wayne in high school.

On another topic, I read somewhere (a long while ago) that people who write complex sentences and/or do crossword puzzles reduce the occurance of Alzheimer's. I can't say I've followed up on that, but it sounds good.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/13/2006 7:25 AM) : 

ha! It was so nice to read someone else had a crush on Wayne!

I had not read that but you've given me something to research. My most favorite lady in all the world (next to my mommie, of course) is my great Aunt (the creater of the perfect pizza) and she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a couple years ago.. so I find it a very interesting subject and am quite obsessed with finding out as much information of this nastiest of nasty diseases, so thank you =)

 

post a comment