Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, May 08, 2006

London Broil to die for

I've wanted to hold out for Hubbs to come home before giving in to my craving of my grilled London Broil because it's definitely not a dish for one.. but I'm hearing yet another two weeks before the job will be done UGH! So I gave in to temptation this weekend. The London Broil is a cheaper cut of meat because it is known to be tough. Tough if you don't prepare it correctly or by not slicing it against the grain of the meat. If prepared and sliced correctly it turns out to be a loverly piece of grilled meat with an amazing flavor. I've used this marinade for years and have never once served it to friends or family without many requests for the recipe.

A cute story about my London Broil.. two years ago one of my closest and dearest friends announced she was pregnant. After many tears of joy and congratulations, she said that she was still going to work full time for as long as she could and that wouldn't give her much time to be eating right for herself and the baby so, "Would you feed me?" was her request. hehe I was more than happy to be of assistance and tickled that she liked my cooking so much that she came to me to help her with keeping healthy during her pregnancy. So I started thinking of all the dishes I would make and began giving her a list of my ideas. Well.. she politely smiled at me and said that what she really wanted was my London Broil. No problem, happy to fix it! The following week.. the same request.. and again the week after.. and again.. and again and again! Needless to say, I was making London Broil every Sunday for MONTHS. lol Her baby boy was born premature, but he was so strong and had such fight in him that we attributed it to all the beef he enjoyed with his mama that summer and fall! :D

Last night's London Broil was served with roasted tiny Yukon Gold potatoes that were rubbed with olive oil, kosher salt and chives and sauteed portabellos. Yum!

5-7-06
London Broil Marinade

1 London Broil, approximately 1 to 2 lbs.
1/2 c. soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS. vegetable oil
2 TBS. ketchup
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Poke holes in your LB with either a fork or the tip of a sharp knife. Dump all ingredients except the LB in a large ziplock bag. Close the bag tightly and give it a good shake or 10 to combine all the ingredients. Drop your LB in the bag and smoosh the marinade all over it, then place the bag on a flat dish and refrigerate overnight or at least for 8 hours, turning the bag over once.

When ready to prepare, heat your grill and cook the LB for approximately 4 minutes on each side for rare, 5 minutes on each side for medium rare and 6 to 8 minutes on each side for medium well to well. I highly recommend serving this cut of meat on the rare to medium rare side as the more well you cook it the more tough it will be regardless of the marinade or the slicing. Gah.

After your LB is grilled to your liking, let it rest off the heat for at least 5 minutes to evenly distribute the yummy juices throughout the piece, ensuring juicy slices from end to end! Cut thinly along the bias of the meat.. meaning cut it width wise and not length wise. Enjoy :D

Labels: ,

Comments on "London Broil to die for"

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (5/08/2006 12:06 PM) : 

yumm!! yeah i am a big fan of stuff that is hella rare. Mmm good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/09/2006 6:55 PM) : 

My husband loves LB,but I've never made a great recipe with it.I'll definately be trying this one.Thanks.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/10/2006 5:23 AM) : 

Emily - oh please do, I'm confident this will become your "go to" marinade for LB =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/19/2007 7:50 PM) : 

Thanks for the post, this recipe is easy and delicious. I am not an experienced (at all) but have been trying new things to get better. This recipe is simple to make yet tastes like it was made by an old pro! Thanks again.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (1/19/2007 10:36 PM) : 

Anon - Well you've just made my night =) I'm very happy to hear you liked the marinade. I haven't made it since the end of summer and now you've got me craving it again hehee!

Thanks so much for stoppin' by!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/29/2007 8:23 PM) : 

Wow, this meal was a success!
thanks for the tips in your blog. especially timing the meat so it wont be overcooked and tough :)
Camille

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/29/2007 11:18 PM) : 

Camille! Why thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know.. I'm just tickled =)

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/18/2007 3:12 PM) : 

gonna give your marinade a shot. i too am from ne ohio- "The Heights"-Inner ring east side suburbs of cleveland. peace!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/18/2007 10:35 PM) : 

Anon - I hope you like it - you better let me know either way. =)

I'm way east.. Mentor/Willoughby area. Nice to meet yas!

 

Blogger Kristen White said ... (7/20/2007 8:20 AM) : 

this was the BEST marinade we've found for london broil. what a great website! keep cooking and sharing. thank you!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/20/2007 8:29 AM) : 

Yay! I'm so glad to hear it, Kristen! Are you, by chance, the Anonymous who commented before you?

Thanks for the lovely compliment, you've made my day. =)

xoxo

 

Blogger Kristen White said ... (7/26/2007 7:27 PM) : 

i am not the anonymous. i have to say my husband and i LOVE your site. tomorrow night we're going to make the scallops with mushroom hash! will post and let you know how we like it. i'm sure it will be great!

 

Blogger Lori said ... (8/30/2007 7:02 PM) : 

We just finished a delicious dinner of this to die for London Broil!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe. It was a hit with everyone, including our 3.5yr old!!

Thanks,
Lori (NJ)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/30/2007 7:53 PM) : 

Yay! I'm so glad you guys liked it, Lori!

Thanks for letting me know.. you made my day =)

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/24/2007 9:42 AM) : 

i'm about to cook london broil for the first time tonight and have decided upon your recipe to make it with. the question i have is how long should i cook it if i'm broiling it in the oven. we have a grill, but to me it's less clean-up if i broil it. also, just confirming...i should cook the LB whole and cut it after it comes off the grill or out of the oven, correct?

 

Blogger Lis said ... (9/24/2007 2:28 PM) : 

Hi Mindy,

I've never made this in my oven, so I'm not 100%. I would say set it at 350ยบ and then use a thermometer if you have one to keep tabs until it reaches the desired doneness.

I'm sorry I'm not much help.. and yep, you cook it whole and then slice thinly against the grain after it's rested for a few minutes out of the oven.

Good luck!

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/08/2008 10:01 PM) : 

I"m sorry but my husband and I did not care for this at all. It was bitter and all I could taste was the soy sauce. I thought it seemed like a lot of soy sauce, but I read some of the other comments that said it was good so I went ahead with it. EEK! Sorry, but I did not like it at all.

 

Blogger The Country Gourmet said ... (12/04/2008 3:13 PM) : 

Hi my name is Patti. I've been a chef for 35 years and have developed and tried many,many Marinate recipes over the years. This one is so simple and yet absolutely delicious! I tried it with Top Sirloin steaks that I wrapped in Bacon and I have to tell you these were the most tender steaks ever. You would have thought you were eating Filet Mignon. I did alter the recipe by adding a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and they turned out amazing however your recipe is good just as it is too.

Bon Appetite'

 

Blogger Lis said ... (12/04/2008 7:23 PM) : 

Anon- holy cow, I am just now seeing your comment 8 months later! Usually all comments are sent to my email, I'm so sorry I missed this and am probably writing now for just my own benefit as I'm sure you don't check back to see if a comment has been answered.. uhhh 8 mos. later.. hee! Anyhoo.. if by any chance you ever do, I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the marinade.. I am a salty person, maybe that's why the soy never bothered me or my family? But I hope you have found the marinade of your dreams by now.. and regardless that you didn't like it, I'm happy you stopped by my little blog. :)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (12/04/2008 7:24 PM) : 

Patti - Yay! I'm tickled you liked it and the addition of the mustard sounds outstanding :)

Thanks so much for letting me know! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/17/2008 1:25 AM) : 

yum, yum, yummy. bite. yum. bite yummier. bite. yummiest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/17/2008 1:27 AM) : 

yum. bite. yummier. bite. yummiest. yum. yum. yum.

ps... yum.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/12/2009 10:44 PM) : 

Hello! I tried this tonight and absolutely LOVED IT!! I think I may've forgotten to add the pepper- but it was DEEEELicious. To the one person and hubbie who did not enjoy it- maybe something went wrong in the kitchen?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/16/2009 4:10 PM) : 

Hmmm well Im marinating right now I withheld the ketchup, but added 1 tablespoon of honey 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/16/2009 8:08 PM) : 

I marinated steaks in this for a family BBQ and let me tell you, they were all coming back for 2nds and 3rds. This is the best marinade I've ever found and was sad when I lost it. Now my husband will be overjoyed to hear that I've found it again. I'm already planning the menu around it for tomorrow night!!

 

Blogger Kipski said ... (1/20/2009 5:52 PM) : 

I made this for dinner Sunday night, it was both delicious and easy! The cooking times were right on, too. Thank you for sharing it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/29/2009 11:47 PM) : 

Thanks for the yummy marinade. I made it for dinner tonight and my husband loved it. Perfect recipe for the summer. Will def. make it again.

 

Blogger Kipski said ... (4/01/2009 6:37 PM) : 

I've made this twice now, and I can't get over how delicious it is! My wife actually jumps up and down with excitement when the flier from the grocery store show LB on sale.
When it comes to quantity of deliciousness verse effort to prepare, this dish has to be one of the best.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/01/2009 6:53 PM) : 

Hi guys.. thanks so much for coming back to let me know how you liked the marinade! Ya'll bring me big smiles :D

Course now I'm craving london broil.... ;)

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/17/2009 12:22 AM) : 

Holy Smokes this is sooo yummo... my whole family loved it. Thanks so much for sharing.. this is a keeper.. I bbq mine on low 10 mins a side.. so tender

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/22/2009 8:01 PM) : 

Thanks for the recipe-making it for the second time! A weekly standard from now on-delish!!

 

Anonymous Elle said ... (6/25/2009 3:16 PM) : 

Greetings from Florida! This recipe is now in my fridge marinating! It smells sooo good and I also added some fresh orange juice/zest for a citrus kick to accompany the saltiness of the soy! Cannot wait to taste it!

 

Blogger Kim said ... (7/17/2009 1:33 AM) : 

So glad I found this recipe when I did a search for london broil. I haven't gotten rave reviews over dinner like that from my husband in a long time. I cooked it while he was at work so I am not even sure he realizes it was a marinade it paired with the flavor of the beef so well. Thank you thank you!

 

Anonymous Colleen said ... (8/12/2009 12:26 PM) : 

I stumbled upon this recipe just googling "london broil"...I am so glad I did. I made it for my Mom and 9 year old son last night. They were both very impressed. What I really loved was how the marinade "stuck" so well to the beef. MMMMMmmmmmm tasty :)The only thing I didn't use was the oregano, not a big fan. I also squirted a little fresh lime juice in. Thanks so much for this wonderful treat!

 

Blogger nextdayref1 said ... (8/17/2009 11:34 AM) : 

I have had london broil in the past that wasn't marinated and it wasn't that great at all. However I found this recipe and I just made it. Of course I tasted the marinade and it was awesome. Do you think it would be too much to let it marinade for a little over 24 hours? Thanks in advance..

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/17/2009 11:42 AM) : 

Ya'll have made my day with such nice reviews, thank you! I'm happy I could share it with all of you!

Nextdayref1.. I've let beef sit in that marinade for up to 48 hours and if you want my honest opinion.. the longer you marinate it the better. So yeah, give it a 24 hour soak! :)

xoxo

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8/24/2009 12:11 PM) : 

I had to laugh at your story. I had a baby two weeks ago and I was always eating meat, meat, meat through out my pregnancy. I had to have a c-section so my baby was a week early * not all that premature. But not only is she strong, she has a head full of dark hair. ^^ There's just something great about beef and babies.

 

Anonymous Curtis said ... (11/12/2009 12:11 AM) : 

I'm not a blogger or an internet afficianado, but I love to make food that folks love to eat. My Mom used to make the best london broil; maybe that was because she needed a cheap piece of meat to feed her 7 kids. Ohhh comfort food. Anyway, long story short, my Mom was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and i wanted to make something special for her. I found your LB recipe and after mixing up the marinade, I knew that it had that "comfort food" smell. Its marinading now, but I already know it will be delicious. Thanks!! I'll report back to let you know. Thanks again, Curtis CPA@abodcarusolaw.com

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/12/2009 4:59 AM) : 

Elizabeth - well I'm a few months late, but congrats on your new daughter! :)

Curtis - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she enjoys the LB and my prayers are with both of you. :) xoxo

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11/15/2009 12:18 PM) : 

Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is the only way I make my London Broil!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/05/2010 9:17 PM) : 

just tried it! delish! i'm not much of a cook, so i was looking for something simple n tasty n this was it! my family n i loved it! sorry...holding a baby...

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (1/24/2010 8:19 PM) : 

I *LOVE* this recipe. I've made it a couple of times, and actually have it published on my blog, but give you the credit!! Let me know if you'd prefer that I delete the post, though.
Thanks for sharing the yumminess!!!

 

Blogger Phyllis said ... (4/07/2010 11:27 AM) : 

Just read your recipe and it sounds simple enough but my question is this....I have a grill that I put on top of my electric stove, is this ok and if so, what temp should it be at? Would appreciate a response and thank you.......Phyl

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/08/2010 9:11 AM) : 

Hi Phyl,

Okay well.. I can only guess here since I've never made it on a stove-top grill before. I would think that the grill needed to be super hot to get a good crust and so the meat won't stick - I assume your is cast iron? Also, there should probably be very good ventilation, as there are sugars in the marinade and will cause smoking as it cooks.

Other than that, I don't really see why it wouldn't turn out just as wonderful using a stove-top grill. Let me know? :)

Lauren - No, don't be silly - glad you liked the marinade and are sharing with your friends and readers. :)

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/10/2010 12:27 PM) : 

i just made the marinade for the first time, but quess what i added...........
1/2 tsp. cayenne and 2 tbl. sugar !!!!
uhmmm
took away some of soy flavor.
when its done soaking up all that, the concete crew working on sidewalks in front of my house say they're gettin' the beer, cool

 

Anonymous Tanya said ... (7/08/2010 10:44 PM) : 

Thank you so much for this recipe, it came out perfectly! Here's a photo: http://twitpic.com/23miyu Yummmm.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/13/2010 7:08 AM) : 

GREAT marinade! I just wrote the recipe down and am now making this for the second time. I, my husband, and my daughter loved it. I'm so happy to have found this recipe. No more searching for marinades for LB ever again. Yeah!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/16/2010 11:32 PM) : 

Awesome recipe! Just made this tonight and my fiance and I LOVED it! It will be made again soon!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/17/2010 8:28 AM) : 

Thanks guys! So glad it's turning out well for everyone :) xoxoxo

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/17/2010 8:29 AM) : 

Tanya - just looking at your photo is making me crave some right now! (It's only 8:30 in the morning) hee!

xoxox

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/28/2010 10:00 AM) : 

On a gas grill would it be cooked on direct high?

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/28/2010 10:27 AM) : 

Hi Anon - I don't cook anything over direct high heat. I always end up burning food. :/ I grill on medium heat.. about 2-3 min. on one side to get good grill marks, then I rotate it for another 2-3 min. Then I flip the meat and do the same on that side.. we like ours rare-med. rare so that seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps? Keep in mind I'm not an expert grill-er.. I can just tell you how I do it. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8/29/2010 5:58 PM) : 

Excellent marinade! I added 1/2 cup of red wine and some fresh lemon juice. Marinaded over night and broiled in the oven. Beef was full of bold, juicy, tender taste, each bite. I am making it again next week. Thanks for sharing!

 

Anonymous Christie said ... (8/31/2010 4:48 PM) : 

Great Marinade! My husband is the cook in this house ... and never cared for London Broil ... until now! It's a team effort (I marinade, he grills) and with your help it's perfect every time! Thanks!!

 

Blogger PWizard said ... (9/21/2010 2:11 PM) : 

Let me tell you, this marinade was terrific. I used lite soy sauce (with less sodium). Was in a rush so only marinaded for a half hour, but the taste definately came through. The entire family loved it...I'm writing this now cause I'm reading the recipe again to make it tonight. Good job!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (9/24/2010 11:43 PM) : 

Thanks again everyone! So glad people are enjoying this as much as my family does! I just made it again a couple weeks ago and it never fails to impress us with the tastiness! xoxo

 

Anonymous Eddie said ... (11/06/2010 4:29 PM) : 

Used this marinade a few days ago on my London Broil and WOW! It tasted great. Thinking of trying it on some sirloin tips too. Thanks!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/23/2010 4:52 PM) : 

Hi. I have my own go to marinade for London Broils which my husband is crazy about, but I wanted to try something new. I gave yours a shot, and just gave it a first taste, it is AMAZING!!! Thanks for such a simple delicious marinade.

 

Anonymous Amy in Cali said ... (1/27/2011 7:17 PM) : 

Thank you for this truly "to die for" marinade. We've cooked it on the grill and this time we cooked it in the broiler. 6 mins each side and let it sit for about 5 on the counter. My family absolutely loves it. Keep your yummy creations coming girl!! Thanks again-AMY

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/22/2011 12:37 PM) : 

I came upon this recipe when I did a search for London Broil marinade, and I just had to try it when I saw all the great comments! LB is resting comfortably in the fridge now. Can't wait to cook it. Given the cute story about the premie, I think you should call this 'London Broil to Live For' :-) Thanks for the recipe!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/22/2011 12:53 PM) : 

I can't believe I'm still getting comments on this recipe 5 years later. :)

Thanks so much everyone! I'm just as tickled pink today that you like the marinade as I was back in 2006!

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/27/2011 11:17 AM) : 

I am going to try this marinade tonight...it sounds really really yummy. I'm trying to get use to our new gas grill. I am a "grill virgin"..LOL! My partner is usually the grill chef in the house. Cross your fingers that I do well.

 

Blogger CFMom said ... (5/01/2011 12:30 AM) : 

Trying your marinade for the first time tonight--well, just prepared it and placed it in the fridge. My daughter had london broil when she was in the hospital and loved it so wanted to try my hand at it (the hospital we go to has some pretty tasty dishes!)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/01/2011 7:06 AM) : 

I hope your daughter liked it, CFMom! Please let me know? :)

Wow.. I can't believe there is a hospital out there that serves tasty food. lol

xoxoxo

 

Anonymous Yvonne said ... (5/19/2011 6:29 PM) : 

I read all the comments so I had to try this marinade. I just put it in the fridge so I will check back with you tomorrow to let you know how it turned out. :o) Thanks for sharing!

 

Anonymous Colton said ... (6/13/2011 8:39 PM) : 

Just finished cooking a "london broil" cut with this marinade. Smelled amazing from finish to end, great taste and great instructions on prep and cooking. Would reccommend this recipe to anyone. Great Job, will definitley be using this in the future!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/15/2011 9:09 AM) : 

Fantastic to hear, Colton - thanks for letting me know :) I'm so happy you liked it! :)

 

Anonymous Kay said ... (8/21/2011 1:43 PM) : 

Loved it! Simple and delicious.

 

Anonymous Cindy said ... (11/14/2011 12:44 AM) : 

This london broil was amazing. One of my favorite recipes. I will keep this one forever! Thanks. :)

 

Anonymous Pete k said ... (5/23/2012 5:04 PM) : 

This is the best recipe I have ever had. I can't even tell you how many times I served this and shared the link to this page. Thanks for the recipe!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7/01/2012 2:07 PM) : 

Awesome marinate! This is the second time that I'm using it. Everyone in my family loves it.
Thank you!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2/17/2013 10:40 AM) : 

Seven years later and your recipe is still coming up in a google search. I typed in "World's best London Broil" and your recipe popped up first. And am I ever thankful! I agree with the poster that giggled and with thoughts of the preemie story thought you should re-name it "London Broil to live for!" :) Regardless, it IS delicious, delicious, delicious! It was 16 below zero when I made it so I used the broiler in my oven. We like ours rare to barely medium rare too so it only took a few minutes on each side, close to the broiler. Gracias, Lis!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/18/2013 3:13 AM) : 

Allison, I'm stunned and tickled that so many people have enjoyed this marinade that it still pops up on a google search! :) I am equally happy that you and the others have enjoyed it so much! I am still making it myself but haven't in a while and now I'm craving it.. looks like I know what's for dinner tonight! :) Thanks again! Lis xoxo

PS - 16 below?? Holy cow I can't even imagine that and I thought our winters were terrible (Cleveland) - don't think we've come close to that cold! Stay warm!! :)

 

post a comment