Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Paula's Gooey Butter Cakes - Variation II

On Saturday I made another variation of Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake.. the peanut butter and chocolate variation to be exact. I've made this variation before with wonderfully decadent results. Not so much this time. I over baked. Annddd.. I suspect my peanut butter had started to get that not so fresh taste to it. I didn't think it had been in my cupboard very long as we go through peanut butter quite quickly in this house, but my cake did taste a bit "stale". Also, something else I've noticed in the last 2 gooey cakes I've made.. the cream cheese layer was pretty damn thin. I don't recall the pumpkin gooey cake I make every year for Thanksgiving being so thin, but with the first variation, the lemon one I made a few weeks ago and now this peanut butter one.. thin. Thankfully, after everyone ate the ribs they were too full for desert, so Hubbs and I were the only ones (much later that night when we had no business eating anything sweet before passing out) that were subjected to the ickiness. That cake was thrown away the next morning. But here's a picture and the recipe, because it's an excellent recipe when you don't overbake it and use ka-ka'd peanut butter. :D

Peanut Butter Gooey Cake
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake

1 devil's food cake mix
1 egg
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 (16 oz.) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Lightly grease a 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan (I always use a glass Pyrex dish) with butter.

In a mixer, combine the cake mix, egg and butter until it forms a ball. Press this mixture into the bottom of your baking pan.

In same mixer, beat the cream cheese until it's good and soft, add the eggs, peanut butter, butter and vanilla. Mix well. Slowly add the sugar until it's just combined. Pour over the cake layer and spread until it's even.

Bake for 45-50 minutes. (I baked for 45 minutes and it was too done! So check after 35 minutes!) Your cake should look "done" around the sides only and the middle should look, well.. gooey. :D Cool for a few hours before serving.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Paula's Gooey Butter Cakes - Variation II"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/04/2007 1:33 PM) : 

Please e-mail the recipe for the Coconut Gooey Butter Cake. Thank you! bonny.geren@odnss.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/23/2007 9:57 AM) : 

I am also looking for the coconut gooey butter cake recipe. I have all the others, but I need to know if I have to add another egg and the amount of coconut to use.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/24/2007 11:31 AM) : 

Anon - I saw your comment and thought to myself.. Oh yeah! I meant to find that coconut gooey butter cake recipe! But I haven't found it yet.

This is the first time I'm seeing bonny.geren's comment! I didn't get an alert through email that it was left back in Oct.

But no, I don't have the recipe, I'm sorry. I've checked all of my Paula books and her magazine and there is no recipe for that variation. But if you ever do find it.. I'd surely appreciate a copy of it!

I'll keep looking as well.. if you e-mail me at lamiacucina67@gmail.com with your e-mail address, I'll be sure to send it if I find it.

And one last thing.. in case we never do find it.. I'd have to say that I'd go with her recipe for the chippy butter cake.. I'd sub maybe 1 c. of coconut for the chips and use 1 tsp. of coconut extract instead of vanilla in the filling, with maybe a white cake mix or even a chocolate cake mix.

I hope this helps.. kinda? =)

xoxo

 

Blogger julia1102 said ... (3/23/2008 2:19 PM) : 

Hi all - after much work I think I developed the Perfect Coconut Gooey Butter Cake recipe. Being partially handicapped and trying to pay medical bills for multipe surgeries I decided to list it on Ebay for 99 cents. Thanks for your help & support! julia1102

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/29/2008 10:17 AM) : 

I found when using a glass baking dish it is better to drop the oven temp to 325.

 

post a comment