Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, July 17, 2006

A most drunkenly weekend...

Drunkenly? Is that a word? Whatever.. it best describes my weekend. This bloggin' gal has not had a snootful in ages.. shame, isn't it? I didn't think so before this past weekend, but because of the fun and hilarity than ensued.. I definitely think it's a shame now. hehee I pretty much quit drinking socially a few years ago. The very instant I'd take a slip of any alcoholic libation, I'd start to sweat. I'm not talking about a lil hot under the collar.. I'm talking full blown, looked like I had stepped outta the shower, wet. It was horrible. It just happened one day and ever since that's my reaction to alcohol. I suspect it had something to do with my sugar being out of control, because now that I've got at least a good handle on it, I did not have that reaction this weekend. Thank Gawd!

The only reaction I had after a few cocktails was giggling - over anything. I don't remember not giggling for a minute (even when eating dinner!) the whole night. I don't even recall what the frig I was giggling over. All I know was that I was giggling, Mindy was giggling and Cindy, at one point, almost lost some of her delicious cocktail through her nose because of the giggling. My cheeks hurt badly on Sunday. My head felt as though it was going to explode on Sunday.. but as for Saturday - yep, giggling. How fun! Hubbs looked on in what appeared to be mild terror as we girls were giggling. Of course that made us giggle even more. Yes, he was stuck home with three drunken women who found mirth in everything. Thankfully, he joined in after he couldn't stand not knowing what the hell was so funny and he began giggling too. I think. Or maybe that was a dream? I'm not sure.. but he did say he had a good time.. so hopefully he was giggling as well. I wonder though, how many times can one use the word "giggle" in a post? Someone should prolly call Guiness.

Alrighty then.. the object of our desire Saturday night was a most delicious concoction of rum, mint leaves and lime juice. The Mojito! I've seen this beverage made on a few of Food TV's shows as well as read about it on many blogs. It sounded too good not to try and woooooo baby, am I glad I tried them. I've never been a big rum fan - my drink of choice was always whiskey - but these Mojitos are fanfarkintabulous, to say the very least. The combination of the simple syrup with the lime wedges and rum followed by a minty hit after you've swallowed is heavenly and so refreshing! A definite summer drink to enjoy on hot and humid days. Mindy and Cindy brought a bottle of Grey Goose and some orange juice as their chosen cocktail of the evening, but after trying my Mojito - it was Mojitos for everyone the rest of the night! My only change the next time we do this - oh and there will definitely be a next time - is to figure out a good ratio to make the Mojitos in a pitcher and not as a single cocktail. No, no.. we will not waste any time in making a single Mojito refill.. we will make up a giant batch of them so we don't lose any valuable drinking time. hehee

Mojito
Mojito

8-10 fresh mint leaves
2-3 wedges of lime (I used 2 wedges that I cut in half)
1 lg. jigger of simple syrup (See Note)
2 lg. jiggers of rum
Club soda
ice

In a cocktail glass, muddle the mint leaves, simple syrup and lime wedges until they are crushed well. Add ice then fill glass with rum, leaving about a 1/2 inch from the top of glass. Fill to top with club soda. Stir and enjoy!

*Note: To make simple syrup - in a medium saucepan, place equal parts of water and sugar - I used 2 c. water and 2 c. sugar) and heat until it boils. Let cool. You can store this syrup in your refridgerator for up to 2 months. I washed out an empty vodka bottle and stored my syrup in there. It also made it easy to use as I just topped the bottle off with a pourer.

Labels: ,

Comments on "A most drunkenly weekend..."

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (7/17/2006 2:10 PM) : 

That sounds so fun! I'm jealous!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/18/2006 4:04 AM) : 

Well yanno.. NY isn't that far from Ohio.. I'll letcha know when the next slumber party is so you can join us!! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/18/2006 9:02 AM) : 

That looks sooooo refreshing! What a perfect warm-weather drink! Glad to hear you had such an awesome w/e with the galpals!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/18/2006 11:00 AM) : 

Ellie - Thanks sweetie! I had a totally awesome morning chit chatting with you as well! I hope we can do it again soon :D

 

Blogger Tracie P. said ... (8/31/2006 11:17 AM) : 

mojito...do-do-do-do-dododo...mojito

yum

 

post a comment