Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Drying Herbs

Remember my strawberry pot filled with herb plants?

parsley/lemon verbena/cilantro

'kay well.. since that first picture back in June, the basil, sage, thyme, chives and lemon verbena went wild crazy and I couldn't use it fast enough.. I did end up losing my cilantro and dill - much to my disappointment. The parsley was the only plant that I used just as quickly as it would grow - so I ended up planting 3 more plants that we hung from the new fence. Something to remember? Squirrels (lil fakkers) like parsley. Ugh.

Anyhoo.. the nice weather is leaving soon *sob* and I wanted to see if I could refresh my lil loverlies so I decided to chop them all down and see if I could dry them in my dehydrator. It seemed to work pretty damn well, although I was shocked (silly me!) at how teensy, tiny everything got! I had a mountain of lemon verbena and basil and after it dried.. well.. yeah I might have a TBS of basil and 1/2 c. of lemon verbena. Sheesh! That's okay though.. at least these plants will not have gone to waste and I'll be able to use them this winter, which makes me happy =)

Here are the before and after pics.. I let them dry for about 6 hours in the machine and they kept their glorious color and scent. I'm going to crush them this afternoon and store them in airtight containers - and maybe, just maybe, all the plants will produce enough so that I can dry them again before winter hits.

Fresh Lemon Verbena
Fresh Lemon Verbena

Dried Lemon Verbena
Dried Lemon Verbena

Fresh Basil
Fresh Basil

Dried Basil
Dried Basil

Fresh Sage
Fresh Sage

Dried Sage
Dried Sage

Dried Chives, Parsley & Thyme
Dried Parsley, Chives and Thyme

I kinda forgot to take a picture of the fresh parsley, chives and thyme. Oops! ;)

Question for yous guys.. if I were to bring the strawberry pot inside this winter, do you think the plants would continue to grow?

Labels:

Comments on "Drying Herbs"

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (8/13/2006 9:31 PM) : 

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but here in Arkansas, we have fairly mild winters. I push my herbs up next to the house and cover them as best I can with fallen leaves from the trees. They stay alive all winter....

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/14/2006 6:35 AM) : 

I'm in Ohio.. so bringing them close to the house probably won't work as Cleveland is the Center of Blizzardland. hehe But.. you did answer my question - if you can bring them close and the heat of your house keeps them alive in your mild winters, then bringing them inside with a lil TLC should keep mine alive all winter. I look forward to it!

Also.. you are living my dream.. congratulations on your business! I am equally envious and just so proud of you for following your dreams! Thanks so much for commenting, I love when someone new leaves me a comment, because I get to discover a new blog! =)

 

post a comment