Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, October 30, 2006

Michelle's Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Jus

Michelle? I heart you!

This is the first, of which I hope to be many, of Michelle's Je Mange la Ville recipes that I've tried. Yesterday, I spent the whole day baking from Dorie Greenspan's new book: BAKING: From My House To Yours (reviews coming soon!) and watching scary/Halloweenie type movies and then preparing this amazing dinner for the two of us.. all the while the house rocked to some severe winds. Which was quite mild to Saturday's weather in which we encountered gray skies, wicked winds, hail, freezing rain and even a smattering of snow while we both cowered under the blankets all day. Gah. Yesterday was definitely a fantastic day in comparison. =)

I only changed one part of her recipe (imagine that!) in which I did not roast my tenderloin with the rosemary, only because Hubbs isn't a fan. But the rest of the recipe was followed to the T and it was fanfarkintabulous! I was a little shocked when I first tasted the jus for seasoning as it was very concentrated after it had reduced - it was pretty sweet but also very tart (and my cheeks are puckerin' as I type this). But when paired with the tender and salty pork it was amazing! Apples and pork go so well together, but I rarely cook with apples so we don't get this flavor combo often. I've cooked a pork tenderloin in a pear/port wine/mustard sauce before and that was fantastic as well, but nothing like this jus that I agree with Michelle, could be drank with a freakin' straw it's so good.

I'll include my picture of last night's wonderful dinner.. but will direct you to Michelle's site for the recipe and to see her step by step instructions (including photos!) on how to make this meal. It's the perfect Autumn dinner and I really recommend trying it. =)

Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Jus
Michelle's Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Jus

Copied verbatim from Michelle's Je Mange la Ville

2 cups apple cider
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup chopped onion
6 whole allspice
3 large fresh thyme sprigs (or a big rosemary sprig, which is what I used)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 12-ounce pork tenderloins, well trimmed
Olive oil
2 Rosemary sprigs
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper

Mix first eight ingredients in medium saucepan. Boil until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 30-40 minutes. Strain, pressing on solids to extract liquid. Discard solids. Return liquid to saucepan and boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the butter and season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slather pork with olive oil, salt and pepper generously and coat with the minced garlic and rosemary.

Brown on all sides in a oven-proof pan. Finish roasting in the preheated oven, 20-22 minutes or until the pork reaches 145 degrees.

Cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Pour any pork drippings from the rested meat into the cider sauce. Then slice and serve with the sauce drizzled over the top. Deee-licious.


He wasn't in the mood for any other veggies I had on hand, so we just went with carmelized roasted sweet potatoes - simply made by tossing the diced potatoes with a little kosher salt and olive oil, then roasting alongside the tenderloin. I flipped them half way through, and when the tenderloin was done and sitting on my counter for 10 minutes to rest, I sprinkled the potatoes with a little brown sugar and put them back in the oven until the sugar melted (about 10 min.).. yum! :D

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Michelle's Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Jus"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/30/2006 9:01 AM) : 

Man, that looks delicious! I bet you the cider jus would be great with slamon too.
I got D. Greespan's book too and so far we have loved everything I made from it.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (10/30/2006 10:17 AM) : 

The food sounds great, but I was taken with your description of the cozy fall weather you had over the weekend. I love days when staying home and baking and watching movies is the perfect way to pass the time indoors. I rarely get those days in Florida, but I can't really complain about near-constant sunshine.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (10/30/2006 12:45 PM) : 

While Julie is too polite to complain, I never miss a good opportunity. I get soooo sick of sunshine and warm weather in the fall and winters of L.A.! I too love the prospect of staying in and hunkering down for a weekend while it's cold and yuck outside. It's been 85 degrees + last week in So. Cal. and it's hardly condusive to that romantic fall- type weekend. *sigh*

Thank you for letting me indulge. The pork sounds delicious and I LOVE sweet potatoes. Maybe I'll prop the freezer door open, slide the dining room table in front of it, put a garden hose up on the roof to simulate rain, put on a sweater and have a New England style dinner!

Okay Lis, okay. I'll stop typing now and go call my therapist. *sigh*

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (10/30/2006 3:14 PM) : 

I saved this recipe too when MIchelle posted it. I agree, it sounded fantastic.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/30/2006 3:47 PM) : 

Helene - Ohh I bet it would too.. and chicken. =)

Julie - Yes those lazy Autumn days are my favorite - especially when you've got something in the oven that makes the whole house smell good. ;)

Kev - teee!! You crack me up!
I can understand where you are coming from though.. although I hate, hate, hate Ohio winters, I don't think I'd like living where the changes of season weren't at least a bit different. How about Hubbs, myself and the kids - you and Ed and the kid move to N. Carolina where there is enough change in the seasons to appreciate them but none too severe to make you long for the next. We could open up a catering business together! We'd be rich! We'd be famous! We'd be far far away from the careers we hate now!

We could even have the same therapist. Wouldn't that be fab?

Kalyn - I KNOW! heheh I pretty much "ditto'd" your comment on her site. hehehe

 

Blogger Sara said ... (10/30/2006 4:21 PM) : 

I marked this one to try - now I'll have to for sure! Looks delicious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/30/2006 4:41 PM) : 

Looks excellent.
Can't wait to see what you baked from the cookbook. My last item is in the oven as I write.

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (10/30/2006 5:54 PM) : 

God, that looks fabulous.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (10/30/2006 7:59 PM) : 

When people talk about pork being dry, they never took a look at this baby. Wow!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/30/2006 10:19 PM) : 

Sara - Can Michelle cook, or what? =)

peabody - I didn't even see the chocolate chip cookie brownie extravaganza you made in the book.. how I missed it I have no idea.. it looked incredible!

LR - It was.. I'm so happy Michelle shared the recipe =)

Callipygia - juicy and so delish :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/31/2006 10:35 AM) : 

Yours looks fabulous! Now I want to make this agan :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/01/2006 8:38 AM) : 

HALLO! That roast pork needs to visit my dinner table, talk about delish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/02/2006 11:04 AM) : 

Looks yummy, especially w/ the roasted sweet taters!

 

post a comment