Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Banana-Banana Pudding

One of the guys in our shop brought me some home made banana pudding a few weeks ago. I thought it was very sweet of him. What he didn't know was that I did not really like banana pudding. hehe I had only had it once in my life at some chain restaurant and the vanilla pudding was overwhelming even the taste of the bananas and to me it was just vanilla bland and I didn't like it at all. Which bummed me out as I pretty much love anything with bananas.

So I'm looking at this huge container of pudding. I smelled it.. and got quite a banana punch. I noticed it was more yellow than the banana pudding I had at that restaurant and there was a meringue on top. "Ahh, what the hell?" I found a spoon. Holy crap. This was the best banana pudding in alla world. Definitely not traditional, the instant I tasted it I knew the pudding was actually banana flavored and not vanilla. The meringue lended a great layer of flavor and texture. The wafers were almost cake like and the bananas were super sweet. I was in heaven. I had to literally force myself to put down the spoon and have Hubbs take the container away from me. I was going to eat the whole damn thing!

And so, I've been wanting to make a big ol' dish of this ever since. I finally got on it this past weekend. Course it doesn't taste EXACTLY like my friend's did - as nothing tastes as good as something made by someone else, but it's pretty darned good nonetheless. ;)

Not your traditional banana pudding - instant banana pudding is used instead of slow cooked from scratch vanilla pudding and there is that layer of meringue where I believe most traditional banana puddings have a whipped cream topping. But so, soooo good!

Unbaked Southern Banana Pudding

A snap to put together and equally as good served a lil warm, at room temperature or cold from the fridge. Try this when you are looking for something easy, quick and creamy good! :D

Baked Southern Banana Pudding
Banana-Banana Pudding

2 boxes of instant banana pudding
4 c. milk (I used 2%)
1 box of vanilla wafers
4-5 bananas, sliced
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
3 TBS. white granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Start with a layer of vanilla wafers, flat side down, side by side on the bottom of a 9" x 13" x 2" Pyrex baking dish. Then layer banana slices on top of the wafers, but put the bananas side by side as well (not just 1 slice on top of a wafer - cover those wafers well with nanners).

Prepare the first box of banana pudding with 2 cups of milk and whisk until it starts to thicken (see instructions on box), pour over the first layer of wafers and bananas - using all of it.

On top of the pudding, put another layer of wafers and then bananas - you should use all the bananas here and maybe all but 8 or 9 wafers from the box. With the left over wafers place 4 (or 5 depending on how many are left) along the long sides of the Pyrex, tucking them down in the pudding. Prepare the 2nd box of pudding as you did the first, pour over the 2nd wafer/nanner layer and then give the whole dish a lil shimmy shake to even it out and to remove as many air bubbles as possible.

In a mixer, preferably using the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and cream of tartar at high speed. When they just start to come together, add the 3 TBS. of sugar slowly. Continue to whisk until the eggs become glossy and form stiff peaks. Spread over the pudding and create lil peaks with the tip of your knife or spatula.

Bake for 10-15 minutes in preheated oven, or until the meringue starts to brown. Allow to cool at room temp. This pudding can be served warm, at room temp or after being chilled for a few hours in the fridge.

Southern Banana Pudding

Labels: ,

Comments on "Banana-Banana Pudding"

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (11/21/2006 7:36 AM) : 

Holly Cow! Now that looks scrumptilicious! That last phot did it to me. I am drolling again. Actually I have never made banana pudding for pretyy much the same reasons as you - the first and last time I tried it out I was not too hot on it. But this does look good. Yummy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/21/2006 7:50 AM) : 

I have to say I am not a big fan of banana pudding but B. likes it, and with such an endorsement I find myself obligated to make it...see how easy it is to twist my arm...just post a pretty picture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/21/2006 8:45 AM) : 

YAY! I'm so glad you're a banana pudding convert! You're right though: when done poorly, it's horrible.

When done well -- transcendent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/21/2006 5:46 PM) : 

I don't have good banana pudding recipes since my grandmother was the only one who made it, and bless her heart, she could not cook.
This looks good though, I might have to give it a try.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/22/2006 5:30 AM) : 

Thanks girls =) For a quick and easy dessert, this really is easy. I brought some in to my friend at work who originally turned me on to this.. and he said it was perfect. Yay! Hubbs wants me to make another batch for Thanksgiving but I'm kinda banana'd out right now. lol

 

post a comment