Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pan Pierogi

If you are a lover of Pierogi then this dish is for you. The recipe can be easily double or tripled for a great potluck contribution. This potato dish can be made as a side dish or with the addition of meat, a main dish that'll knock your pierogi loving socks off.

Easy to put together and made with ingredients that most have on hand, it's a quick dinner for those nights when time seems to slip away. Filling and tasty, it's one of our favorites. You can switch up the cheeses, meats, or even add flavorings to the potatoes and create your own version. The inside is creamy and the lasagna noodles get a little crunchy on the edges (the part I like the most!). This is a perfect Autumn/Winter dish.. try it! :D

Pan Pierogi 1
Pan Pierogi

1 large vidalia onion, either sliced thinly or diced medium
2 TBS. butter
9 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
3 c. smashed potatoes (I cheat and use a bag of pre-smashed potatoes - Yoder's brand)
handful of fresh, snipped chives*
1 c. sour cream*
2 c. shredded cheese (I'll usually use 1 c. swiss and 1 c. sharp cheddar)
1 package of Keilbasa sausage, sliced on the diagonal* (I use Hilshire Farms)
1 TBS. butter

Preheat oven to 375ยบ F. Butter a 8" x 8" baking dish - I usually use a glass Pyrex.

Saute the onions in 2 TBS. of butter until lightly browned and carmelized.

I like to buy the regular smashed potatoes and then in a med. saucepan I heat them and add the sour cream and chives. This is optional. You could add the potatoes cold or buy the flavored kind or smash your own - do whatever you feel is best.

Place 3 lasagna noodles in the bottom of your baking dish and then spread about 1 c. of the smashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle potatoes with 1/2 the onions.

Pan Pierogi - layer 1

Next layer is the cheese, I usually do a small handful of each flavor (making sure to reserve some for the top).

Pan Pierogi - layer 2

Top with the sliced keilbasa, if you are using.

Pan Pierogi - layer 3

Then start your layers again; noodles, potatoes, onions, cheese, sausage. Top with last 3 lasagna noodles and the remaining cheeses. Slice off excess lasagna noodle so that it's flush with the top of the dish. If you don't, the excess noodles will burn. Dot the top with 1 TBS. butter and bake, uncovered for 45-60 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.

Pan Pierogi - ready to bake

Let sit for about 5-10 minutes so it will set up and make for easier cutting.

Pan Pierogi 3
Pan Pierogi 2

*Note:The chives, sour cream and Keilbasa are optional - use whatever you want or leave plain. Also, if I have it on hand, I sometimes like to add about a 1/2 c. of sauerkraut to the onions when sauteing. Adds a nice lil zing! :D

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Pan Pierogi"

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (11/04/2006 12:10 PM) : 

I bet this smells amazing while it's bubbling away in the oven. I love peirogi--this sounds like a slice of heaven.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (11/04/2006 2:52 PM) : 

Lis, this is so clever! I love pierogies too, but I'd never have thought to do them like this. Years ago a friend of mine was tinkering with a starch on starch concept for a dinner. Little fried potato cubes on top of pasta...it didn't go over well, but this sounds so good esp. w/ the kielbasa and sauerkraut!!

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (11/04/2006 5:26 PM) : 

Clearly, to devise something so delicious and artery clogging, you are evil.

And when my heart seizes as I shove another bite of this in my face, my dying thought shall be of you.

(God that was melodramatic. Sorry. ;) )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/05/2006 6:36 AM) : 

This looks great! I've never heard of this dish before.

Sounds and looks delicious!!!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/05/2006 8:44 AM) : 

Kev - oh yeah.. enough so that Hubbs kept walking into the kitchen to see if it was done yet.

Callipygia - I can't take credit for coming up with it all on my own - I was given the base recipe from a friend many years ago and have just doctored it up over the years. I love lil casseroles like this - the kind that emulates another dish. I also love cabbage roll casserole - same taste, less fuss! :D

LR - HA! You crack me the hell up! I've got this thing with my best friend.. I've made her promise, if she's with me while I'm having a major infarction of some kind to first CALL 911 and secondly to shove a bar of chocolate in my mouth - because that's the way I want to go. heee!

Mae - Aww thanks! And thanks for stopping by =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/05/2006 9:12 PM) : 

Just a small heart attack on a plate but looks very much worth the trip to the ER :)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/06/2006 6:15 AM) : 

peabody - har! You and LR crack me up! And this is one of my tame recipes.. only what? 4 TBS of butter in it. :D

 

Blogger emily said ... (11/07/2006 9:12 PM) : 

I'm looking forward to making this - it sounds like my family's Easter Sunday meal, all thrown together into one dish. Thanks for the recipe idea.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/28/2009 11:46 PM) : 

I just wanted to say I finally made this and loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

 

post a comment