Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, November 27, 2006

Part III - The Finale

Okay so it's a new week and Thanksgiving is past us.. I debated on whether to blog about this most excellent of all the Gooey Butter Cakes, because yanno what? I am sick of Thanksgiving. Yes, I've said it. I've given my thanks, I've cooked my heart out and now I want to for-get it. BUT this version of Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cakes is the best one of all - so good that just because it's pumpkin doesn't mean you can't (and shouldn't!) make it any time during the year. Cut into smaller bars, this would be perfect for your Christmas dinner as well - or even as part of your Christmas baking gifts.

Paula said in her book to not be surprised if you never go back to a traditional pumpkin pie again after trying this cake. She's right. Again, I bring up my mother - who's stuffing was a staple at our Thanksgiving table for over 20 years.. until I made the Easy Stuffing. Now her stuffing is a thing of the past. Same with her pumpkin pies. She made beautiful pumpkin pies every year and there was rarely any left over after the first assault on leftovers. Until.. until I watched the lurve of my life, the reason my cholesterol is high, Paula Deen, make this cake on one of her shows. It was the first Gooey Butter cake that I'd ever made. And it is now the replacement of my Mom's pumpkin pies.

Pumpkin Gooey Cake
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Courtesy of Paula Deen

1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow or butter cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted (1 stick or 1/2 c.)
Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted (1 stick or 1/2 c.)
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

To make the filling:
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Gooey Pumpkin Cake slice

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Part III - The Finale"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/27/2006 12:22 PM) : 

Oh my gosh Lis! That looks sooo.. good! Love the way it has a rich golden sheen on top, can't go wrong with this recipe!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (11/27/2006 3:02 PM) : 

Okay, but you know I'm going to blame you when my pants won't fit, right?

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (11/27/2006 4:48 PM) : 

mmmmm i made this last thanksgiving. it was some good shit. ;)

okay the link you have for me in your sidebar is severly outdated! I am deleting the typepad blog soon so I was just letting you know that the new URL is:

http://www.somethingsoclever.com

Love you! :)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/27/2006 5:15 PM) : 

Monisha - Thanks! And you're right.. ya just can't go wrong with it. =)

Sara - hehe yes, I know.. but I'll take the blame if you try this cake just once ;)

Ali - I changed it! Thanks for pointing that out! I changed the links in the Blog of the Week post too =) Love ya back! xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/27/2006 10:04 PM) : 

Hi,

I just finished reading all of your Thanksgiving posts and all I can say is that you should have called me. I would have more than made up for the 3 people that didn't show!

I loved all of it!

And I am thankful that I know you!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/27/2006 11:09 PM) : 

Hmm - wonder if it would work with NZ recipe boxed cake mix. Was yours a puddin' in the mix one? It certain looks like it lives up to it's ooey gooey name

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (11/28/2006 3:01 AM) : 

Only 1 stick of butter, Paula surely holds back *lol* Lis, you made the cake amasinging beautiful! I won't go to anywhere except your house next Thanksgiving!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/28/2006 8:20 AM) : 

That bottom picture - the one with the big fat dollop of whipped cream? It's because of pictures like that that I wake up in the morning with my face glued to the pillow - after having drooled in my sleep whilst dreaming of such deliciousness!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/28/2006 3:13 PM) : 

I made this for Thanksgiving, too. The only difference was, I made it with a spice cake mix ('cause it was all I could find). It was delicious! Now I'm afraid to make it the regular way--I can't imagine how it could be any better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/28/2006 7:38 PM) : 

This looks heavenly, especially with the whipped cream on top. Yum!!


Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/28/2006 9:39 PM) : 

I want some right now! No, I need some!!! Guess what I am doing tomorrow...this cake! even if it starts with a box mix...Lisa the things you make me do!!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/29/2006 6:22 AM) : 

Ivonne - Next year I am SO calling you! And the feeling is very, very mutual, my friend =)

Morv - I'm sure a NZ mix would work fine and yeah the pudding in the mix is the kind I use.

Gattina - Ohh how I wish that were true! I'd love to have you for Thanksgiving!

Ellie muh luv - hehe I feel the same way - some pictures just doom me to a day/night of droolage. :D

Anon - THAT sounds fabulous! She even states that she's made it with the spice cake and if I had one, I would have tried it myself =)

Ari - Thank you!

Helen - ha! I'm very interested in hearing how you like it! :D

 

post a comment