Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Paula.. You've Disappointed Me

I made this last week after watching an episode of Paula's Home Cookin' show.. where she was having a cook-off with her two sons, Jamie & Bobby. *swoon* Her entry was her beef short ribs. Dear sweet Jebus did they look good.

The next day I was at my favorite butcher's and bought myself some beef shortribs - I couldn't wait to get home to make them. I followed the recipe without making any changes and what I was rewarded with was, unfortunately, tasteless ribs in a soupy broth topped off with a layer of grease. Yum! *shudder*

I was sorely disappointed, but didn't want to throw them out - they were extremely tender, I'll give them that. So what'd I do?? Yes.. I cheated. I opened up a jar of store-bought mushroom gravy. Mmm hmmmm.. I poured it over the ribs and rice and voila! They were quite tasty. Sad people.. very sad.

I wasn't even going to post about them, but as usual, I find it so hard to believe that Paula has a bad recipe. I've had such good luck with most of her recipes, that I feel this might have been an error on my end? So if anyone wants to try this recipe, please let me know how they turned out. I'd be very happy to find out it was something I did (or didn't do?) instead of a bad Paula recipe.

Paula's Short Ribs doctored
Paula's Short Ribs
Courtesy of Paula Deen, copied from here.
The above photo is the doctored ribs.. with the store-bought gravy.

3 pounds short ribs
1/2 cup House Seasoning, recipe follows
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped, plus 2 more cloves chopped
Water
Beef Broth, plus more for roasting
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, sliced
White rice, for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Season ribs using House Seasoning. Lightly dust with 2 tablespoons flour.

In a Dutch oven, place a small amount of oil. Add the 2 garlic cloves and cook until lightly browned. Add the ribs and brown on each side. Add half water and half beef broth to cover ribs. Bring to a boil. Remove the ribs from the Dutch oven and place in a casserole dish. Add the remaining garlic, salt and pepper, onions, and about 1 cup broth to the ribs. Roast ribs for 2 hours. Serve over buttered white rice.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Paula's Short Ribs
Straight out of the oven.. soupy.. marshy looking.. *sigh*

Paula's Short Ribs
Here they are sans gravy.. sad looking, aren't they?

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Paula.. You've Disappointed Me"

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (12/16/2006 10:17 AM) : 

How disappointing! Ribs are usually so good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/16/2006 6:56 PM) : 

Tender is good. I think all of the Food Network people are being rushed now to come up with stuff and the result is less quality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/16/2006 11:01 PM) : 

I'm sorry to hear that Paula let you down...but on the up side - a little thinking from your part with the addition of the (store bought) gravy, and it became a decent meal :) That's Lis - 1, Paula - 0

 

post a comment