Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Peabody's Aunt was a Lucky Lil Girl!

I know that many of you were right there with me, drooling all over your keyboards and chins, while looking at these pictures of Peabody's Aunt's Mother's Chocolate Cake. *swoon*

Some of you might recall, I've been on a quest to find the ultimate chocolate cake recipe, since I've tasted the ultimate chocolate cake and it's creator won't share the recipe. Well, Peabody, bless her cotton socks, was on a similar quest to re-create her Aunt's Mother's chocolate cake that she had when she was a girl - and this must be quite a cake as she remembers it still to this day, and it changed her mind about chocolate cake back then. Which, I'm sure, was only a few weeks ago. *cough*

Anyhoo, moving right along.. She also was hoping that she'd be helping me in my quest for that ultimate cake, for which I am grateful =) I have no flippin idea why this took me so long to make, but FINALLY I have accomplished it this past weekend. Actually, I have a feeling, that soon I am going to be put on a strict diet *gasp* and I know that I'm running outta time, so I just had to make it right-now-before-they-take-away-the-good-juju! Gah.

Peabody's Aunt's Mother's Chocolate Cake!

Is that not a pretty cake, or what? (don't look down to the mess I made on the cake dish! Oh! And cock your head to the left so it looks even!) I am proud to say that this is the prettiest cake I've ever made! The frosting was divine.. not only in taste, but in texture and fluffiness, so frosting this cake was a breeze. This is a HUGE compliment coming from me.. the Queen of frosting disasters. hee!

The cake was fantastic.. extra chocolatey with a nice crumb and paired with that amazing frosting this cake comes very, very close to the ultimate chocolate cake for me. The texture was just a bit off though.. that ultimate chocolate cake I tasted this past summer was a bit more dense, where this cake is nice and light while still being decadent. All in all though, if I don't ever find that ultimate recipe.. this cake will do just fine. I'll be making it again and again, of that I am sure.

Thank you, Peabody, for sharing this recipe! You've helped me come as close to the ultimate chocolate cake as I've ever been.. and you've given me yet another reason why I really need to purchase Tish Boyle's The Cake Book!! :D

Peabody's Aunt's Mother's Chocolate Cake!
Deeply Dark Devil's Food Cake

Instead of typing out the instructions, I'm going to direct you to Peabody's site so you can follow hers, the way I did. =)

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Peabody's Aunt was a Lucky Lil Girl!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/12/2006 7:49 AM) : 

That's one gorgeous looking slice of cake madam! After seeing this post on her blog and seeing your success with replicating it, well, I'm just gonna have to buckle down and give this a try!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (12/13/2006 6:15 AM) : 

Ellie muh luv - you will not be disappointed! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/13/2006 5:21 PM) : 

The frosting was THE best on this cake.

 

post a comment