Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Crunchy Scallops with Citrus Sauce

We've started up the snow machine here in NE Ohio.. like I said before when we were having all that mild weather, when it starts to snow it's not going to stop! But I have to admit, grudgingly, that it is pretty - there's been a lot of it but it's been the big fluffy stuff. Normally when it's constantly snowing, I sink into cozy/hibernation mode when it comes to cooking. But since I've been on this "recreating" kick of late, I decided that the next restaurant recipe I wanted to try to figure out at home is a light, summery, scallop dish Hubbs had at that restaurant I told you about where I only ever ordered the pork tenderloin? Well he had this dish once and gave me a bite and I thought it had to be the best scallops I'd ever had. Unfortunately they were on special that night and never offered again after that. I've looked high and low for recipes that I could use as a platform to work off of but so far, nothing. And it's getting harder and harder for me because I'm trying to recreate something I had one bite of a good 4 years or so ago.

This is my 3rd attempt and I knew just from reading the recipe, which I found on the Whole Foods website, strangely, that it wasn't going to be close either - but it was interesting enough on it's own to give it a shot - who knew maybe we'd find a good citrusy scallop dish that was just as good?

These are breaded scallops, which I usually don't like at all - but I'd been having a craving for Panko so I subbed it for the regular breadcrumbs the recipe called for. Also I didn't have any baby bok choy on hand (imagine that!) so I served these with bite-sized chunks of roasted sweet potatoes with a lil drizzle of honey. Come to find out, they were the perfect side dish as the citrus sauce is quite tart. This dish was good - not one of my favorites - but Hubbs loved them. The scallops had a nice crunch and were tender on the inside. The sauce had a very good citrus flavor but ohhhh baby if you got a scallop with a lot of sauce on it you'd start to pucker! Not that that is a bad thing - for me the sauce really brought out the flavor of the scallop instead of over powering it, which was great.

Panko Crusted Scallops with Citrus Sauce
Crunchy Scallops with Citrus Sauce

1 1/2 c. freshly squeezed tangerine juice (3 to 4 tangerines)
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lime juice (1 to 2 limes)
1/4 c. chicken stock
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS. honey or agave nectar (I used honey)
1 TBS. sugar

2 large egg whites
1 1/2 TBS. cornstarch or arrowroot
2 TBS. freshly squeezed lemon juice (I omitted this)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
30 large scallops, pat dry
1 1/2 c. sesame seeds (I used Panko)
1/4 c. canola oil (I used even less just enough to brown them without burning)
2 lbs. baby bok choy (Or 2 sweet potatoes chunked)

To prepare the sauce, combine the tangerine juice, lemon juice, lime juice, chicken stock, garlic, honey and sugar in a heavy saucepan over high heat. Boil until slightly syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Set aside. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.)

To prepare the scallops, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, corn starch (or arrowroot), lemon, and cayenne pepper until blended. Add the scallops and toss to coat. Place the sesame seeds or Panko in a deep rimmed dish. One by one, dip the scallops in the coating, making sure to coat all sides. Place the coated scallops on a nonstick baking sheet, set aside.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Carefully add half of the scallops to the hot skillet, and sear the scallops until golden, about 2 minutes. Turn the scallops over and continue to sear the other side for 2 minutes or more until golden on the outside and just opaque on the inside. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining scallops.

If using the bok choy the recipe says to trim it and cut it in half lengthwise. In a large deep saute pan with a fitted lid, place 1/3 c. water and 1/4 c. citrus sauce, stir to blend. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the bok choy and cover. Reduce the heat to low and steam for 2 to 4 minutes or until the bok choy is just tender and bright green. Remove from heat, toss in the liquid to coat. Place the bok choy on individual plates, arrange the scallops on top of the greens and drizzle with the remaining sauce.

If using sweet potatoes, peel and chunk them into bite sized pieces. Lay them on a cookie sheet and drizzle olive oil and about a tsp. of sea salt over them then using your finger tips, toss to coat. Place sheet in a 425ยบ F. oven and roast for about 25 - 30 minutes or until they are browned and tender. After plating, drizzle a small amount of honey over them.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Crunchy Scallops with Citrus Sauce"

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (1/25/2007 7:32 AM) : 

Oh my God. I want them. Looks so, so good!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (1/25/2007 10:17 AM) : 

I make a scallop, grape and wine dish that I really like. It has nothing to do with what you're looking for, but I like it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/25/2007 10:27 AM) : 

Panko crusted scallops! Now how can it get better than that. Plus you have a citrus sauce which i imagine goes so well because as you've stated it is tart. I'd love mine with the baby bok choy that'll make the dish just perfect.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (1/25/2007 10:33 AM) : 

I think you've got the hang of the new camera down you Miss Annie Leibovitz of the food world!

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (1/25/2007 12:09 PM) : 

Yum! I love scallops but we never get them. So $$! Now I really want some.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (1/25/2007 12:26 PM) : 

LR - I'll make them for you!

Bril - Yeah, I'm always on the look out for new scallop recipes as it's his favorite food.

Veronica - I think I'll make sure to have the bok choy next time.

Kev - ya think? I kinda thought the picture sucked (too dark) but I was very impressed with my zig zagging of the sauce on the plate. har!

Rachel - they are pricey here too.. but once in a while they'll go on sale and I'll snag 'em!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/25/2007 12:56 PM) : 

What a great recipe! I can't wait to try it! I'm a diabetic, so I better use Volcanic Nectar instead of agave. It's sweeter than sugar and honey, but safe for diabetics. Thanks! http://www.volcanicnectar.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/25/2007 2:00 PM) : 

Lis,

This... Is... NOT FAIR!

I'm going to have to wait at least two weeks to try this. I'm going to be a wreck before I get to it.

Basted budget....

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (1/25/2007 3:31 PM) : 

Lis,

I've never had scallops. Yours look wonderful!

I was at the supermarket last month, buying ingredients for New Year's Eve dinner, when I saw frozen scallops. I ran to check them out but then I was frozen: they cost a lot (70 dollars per kg, or so). :S

I think this citrus sauce would be great with a number of other dishes.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (1/25/2007 5:04 PM) : 

These look beautiful. I think it is funny that you'd try to recreate a recipe from 4 years ago that you had one bite of. Now that is cooking commitment!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (1/25/2007 7:36 PM) : 

Lis - these looks SO great. Tasty and beautiful.

Now I am hungry for scallops. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/25/2007 11:09 PM) : 

This looks like a restaurant quality dish, that's for sure!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (1/26/2007 4:12 AM) : 

Oh my dear, your are an artist!
Wooo those scallops do look wonderful crunch on the outside of yummy on the inside. I think I'd love these.
I guess you're using fresh scallops? The only thing I'll really find here has got to have been frozen I think.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (1/26/2007 9:24 AM) : 

Anon - I hope you like them! And thanks for the tip on the agave nectar, I checked out the site and I think I'm going to purchase some after I speak to my doctor. =)

Jerry - Sorry! heee! All I can say is that I wait for them to go on sale and then I buy and freeze.. ;)

Patricia - I recommend them if you ever see them on sale - especially the big sea scallops. And I agree, this sauce would go great on a lot of meats - as well as a great dessert topping if you were to leave the garlic out.

Callipygia - hehe I know, I'm outta my mind. lol

Kirsten - Thanks!

Kristen - And thank you too! =)

Tanna - Thanks - you are too kind. =) Actually, mine were frozen. Although when I buy them on sale they are thawed, there is no way I'll ever believe that are super "fresh" living here in the Armpit of the Midwest. I'm pretty darned sure that all fish/seafood we get as been "Freshly Frozen" hehe But as long as they don't have that bad smell and they look nice and white, they work well! =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/26/2007 10:36 PM) : 

Gorgeous, Lisa! And I love the presentation!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/27/2007 4:50 AM) : 

They look delicious! I'm a bit wimpy when it comes to lemon (I like tangy, but if it makes me pucker up and salivate, then I'm not a happy lass) so I think I'd have to reduce the lemon in the sauce :P

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (1/28/2007 10:55 AM) : 

I can't believe it! I made scallops with a citrus sauce yesterday for my husband and will be posting it in the near future. It's different though from yours which looks and sounds fabulous! I'll be sure to link back to your post. So glad I saw your name over at Veronica's Test Kitchen.

Susan
Food "Blogga"

 

post a comment