Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, February 09, 2007

Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini

Two reasons for this post..

The first is, I made this soup again this past week and Oh. My. Dear. Jebus. is it good - if you haven't tried this yet and like soup.. please make yourselves a batch ASAP. =)

Secondly, I noticed that Alanna of A Veggie Venture is hosting an all month blow out celebrating Soup! Glorious Soup! and I thought what better a submission than this tasty and filling soup that I simply am in love with.

For those of you who are wondering when I made this soup the last time, it was almost a year ago - right after I started this lil blog. I thought I was going to be making a whole different soup, but realized after I read the recipe again that it wasn't what I thought it would be. But I ventured on and am I happy I did! If, by chance, you did see this recipe here way back then, take note that I have since changed the recipe to reflect the way I make it, instead of giving you the original with my additions or substitutions noted.

What are you waiting for??? Go make this soup! :D

Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup
Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini

1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (I just used bulk sausage)
2 TBS. Extra virgin olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
6+ c. beef stock
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. red wine
2 regular size cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes with the juice
1 c. thinly sliced carrots
1 c. diced yellow bell pepper
1 (1 lb.) bag of baby spinach
1 TBS. packed fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. sliced zucchini or 1 1/2 c. celery - leaves and all
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 lb. fresh tortellini pasta
3 TBS. chopped, fresh parsley *I bought it but didn't use it.. went with more basil*
1/8 c. soy sauce (Optional - *See Note)
Parmigiano Reggiano, shaved

In a 5 qt. Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage & drain, reserving 1 TBS. of drippings.

Saute onions & garlic in drippings and 2 TBS. of EVOO. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, all the veggies, basil, oregano, tomato sauce & sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini, tortellini and parsley. If the tortellini are fresh, add them in the last 10 min. of simmering. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. *This would be the hour mark and I still felt it needed more saltiness and flavor - so I added 1/8 c. soy sauce*

Sprinkle with shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top of each serving.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/09/2007 11:57 AM) : 

I do like this rustic food. And with the snow and cold yesterday this would be just the right dish to make you al warm inside

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (2/09/2007 12:00 PM) : 

I don't know what I'm waiting for! I must make this immediately! I'm on a soup kick, too—subzero temps will do that to a person. This looks and sounds so good.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (2/09/2007 12:28 PM) : 

Yum! Looks delicious and perfect for all the snowy weather we are having.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (2/09/2007 2:08 PM) : 

I have an impromptu poker party at the house tonight. This just might work! :)

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (2/09/2007 2:38 PM) : 

Lis- The freezing wind here is so insane, this soup is just the ticket-looks easy too.

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/09/2007 3:55 PM) : 

Quit bossing people around Lis! We'll make your soup when we're good and ready! Like now...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/09/2007 4:55 PM) : 

I'm waiting to get better...than I'll make the soup...or you could just send me a batch!

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (2/09/2007 7:07 PM) : 

Oh,you've just made my meat-loving husband very happy! He's been craving sausage lately, and I wasn't sure what to make. Now I know. This sounds deliciously savory and rustic. Thanks!

 

Blogger Alanna Kellogg said ... (2/09/2007 8:31 PM) : 

Lisa ~ Oh this sounds sooo good! I love those fat tortellini tucked into soup. Thanks so much for playing along with Soup's On! I'm just updating now so you'll be 'live' in a few minutes. New recipes every day so check in ...

 

Blogger Monkey Wrangler said ... (2/09/2007 10:08 PM) : 

Hey there Lis, how y'all doin'?

Your recipe has so got me all wantin' to case some hog! It's been too long since I made Italian sausage and you just gave me one fantastic excuse. The paucity of pork lately has been driven by wanting to know where it came from (keeping it local), but I'm onto some good stuff and soon, so no worries.

Thanks for the post and link. I just wrote Alanna and left her a link to my latest creation: An orange frankenstein-esque soup if I ever saw one......

 

Blogger Veron said ... (2/09/2007 10:10 PM) : 

what a perfect soup for this cold weather! I love italian sausage in anything be it soup or pizza. Can you freeze some and mail it to me :)

 

Blogger Heather said ... (2/09/2007 10:42 PM) : 

This does look absolutely wonderful. Do you happen to know the nutritional values? I have to lose some weight, but I have been making lots of soup lately and this would be a nice change from some of the others.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (2/10/2007 5:34 AM) : 

Cold brings out the soup!
The bowl and the soup together are so perfect. Looks really good, especially the sausage!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/10/2007 9:56 AM) : 

That bowl of soup looks like it really good drive any and all winter chills away! I'll be definetely trying this one out!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (2/10/2007 6:00 PM) : 

Lis,

This looks and sounds SO delicious. I love rustic soups and this sounds great. I will try!

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (2/11/2007 5:49 AM) : 

Oh darling, you know what... I'm simmering a big pot of beef stock and wondering what I should make from it. Now... your soup!!! And you know I love your Italian cooking, and I already have sausages in my freezer, what am I waiting for?!!! x

 

Blogger aka Rachel said ... (2/11/2007 10:45 AM) : 

mmm that does look good. we are having a soup swap soon and I've already started with my yemenite hawayedge chicken soup or I'd have to do this one instead! this is the ONLY thing winter is good for.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/11/2007 1:21 PM) : 

Oohhh! It looks so yummy yummy yummy!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/11/2007 3:11 PM) : 

awww you guys! Thanks =) I hope you give it a try it's soooooo damn good. :D

Heather, am sorry I don't know the nutritional value. There's the fat in the sausage but you could sub a low in fat chicken sausage maybe? The cheese in the tortellini.. I don't know what you'd do about that other than choose another pasta that isn't stuffed with cheese? And then other than those two ingredients the rest should be pretty low in fat, especially if you use low-fat, low-sodium beef stock. I hope this helps a lil bit. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/11/2007 4:39 PM) : 

It's freezing cold today. That soup would warm me right up! Looks fantastic!

 

Blogger Ed Tep said ... (2/13/2007 3:02 AM) : 

Lis - Oh my goodness...the name alone is making me salivate!

 

Blogger Freya said ... (2/14/2007 2:02 AM) : 

If you can be in love with a soup..I'm in love with this one!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2/16/2007 10:17 AM) : 

Oh my! I have a freezer full of sweet venison sausage that I want to use.This soup looks amazing.I think I will be making a huge pot this weekend! Thanks for posting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/27/2007 3:41 AM) : 

I'm picking a few soup recipes from Soup's On list to try. I think I gotta try yours too! Looks so yummy!

 

post a comment