Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Self-saucing Pudding??

huh? A pudding that self-sauces? What the hell does that mean? And there is definitely cake involved... so how can it be called Self-saucing Pudding? Another one of those mysteries I might never find the answer to.. basically because I'm too lazy to look it up on the net.

To end the month of January, my dear man - known to the blogging world as "Hubbs" - made his girl a loverly dinner PLUS a dessert! Talk about being a happy camper when arriving coming home after travelling through the frigid and icy weather from my 8 in the dungeon. The house smelled wonderful, the kids were cleaned up and looking especially cute and furry and there was even a tall glass of iced white tea waiting for me at the dining room table. Holy cow!

Actually this isn't a rare occassion.. when he doesn't work (due to the icy frigidness) he will clean and cook because he can't stand laying around all day. I don't get that, but God bless him anyway! hehe

After eating his, really quite good, salisbury steak with roasted potatoes, we waddled to our designated sofas and hunkered down under our over-sized warm blankets for an evening of Tivo'd shows. I'd say, maybe, an hour or so later, he jumped up announcing he had a surprise and then dashed off to the kitchen. While I sat there and wondered if he'd been hittin' the crack pipe what the surprise was and thanked my good fortune for being with such a good man, I heard dishes clanging and the microwave buzzing. Soon he reappeared with two bowls that were slightly steamy and covered in powdered sugar.

Lemon Self-saucing Pudding

When he handed me my bowl, I stared in wonderment at the fluffy cake sitting upon a pool of lemony sauce and took in the lemon scent that was wafting up through that steam. I looked up at him and thanked him.. and then said, "It looks and smells KICK-ASS, but what the hell is it?" He said it was a lemon self-saucing pudding, as if I should know what it was. "What is self-saucing pudding? And how did you make this?" He said he didn't know exactly what it was but it looked good in the picture. "Ahhh", I said.

He had gone through my huge pile of cookin' mags put out by Kraft. Free magazines that they send out monthly that I can't seem to throw away after looking through them. And now I'm kinda glad I didn't. *grin* Anyhoo, he found this recipe and said he knew I'd like it. He was right. Firstly, it was warm and gooey.. such a wonderful combination. Secondly it smelled of lemons and that really is one of the best scents in the dead of winter.. Thirdly, it was warm and gooey. Did I mention that already? The cake on top was very fluffy and not too sweet and the "pudding" on the bottom was not as thick as pudding, but not thin like a sauce either - kind of in the middle'ish. It was sweet and tart, a nice balance of both. And lemme tell ya.. it was super easy to shovel it in, because the next thing I knew, mine was gone and I knew not much time had passed while I was blissfully enjoying his creation.

The picture above may or may not be my second slice. *blush*

Being a supportive husband of a blogger, the dear man actually snapped some before and after pictures and he dog-eared the page so that I could share with you the recipe. After checking it out, I can say that for a tiny amount of effort and a huge amount of lurve - you will be rewarded with the perfect warm and coozy dessert for a freezing cold winter night!

Lemon Self-saucing Pudding
Lemon Self-saucing Pudding
Adapted from Kraft Foods Magazine

1 yellow double layer cake mix (He used a butter cake mix)
Ingredients to make the cake from directions on box - usually a few eggs & some water
2 pkgs. (4 serving size) instant Jello lemon pudding/pie filling
2 c. cold milk
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. water
2 TBS. confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Grease a 9" x 13" glass Pyrex dish.

Prepare the cake as per the box's directions and pour into prepared baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine pudding mixes, milk, sugar and water and whisk for 2 minutes or until thoroughly incorporated. Gently pour the pudding over the cake batter.

Lemon Self-saucing Pudding before bake

Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let set for about 30 min. and serve warm with a sprinkle of confection's sugar.

*Hubbs' Note: He suggests putting the cake on a lipped cookie sheet while baking, because some of the pudding ran and is now a black and smoking puddle on the floor of our oven. =)

Also, this is going to be our submission to the so sweet and talented Meeta's Monthly Mingle - Sweet Love. Because, really? Look at those pictures - they scream "lurve" in a lemony, warm and coozy way. :D

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Self-saucing Pudding??"

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (2/01/2007 9:29 AM) : 

Lis,

I'd have more than one slice of this dessert, too. Or maybe 3. ;)

Congrats to Hubbs!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (2/01/2007 1:32 PM) : 

That is so crazy: I am making the same type of dessert tonight for company (w/out the cake mix)
If only B. would cook or bake, but he grills great and makes good cocktails!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/01/2007 1:50 PM) : 

Aww... Hubbs is so thoughtful! :D

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (2/01/2007 3:36 PM) : 

I bet it is "pudding" in the same way that all British desserts are called pudding, even when they are, in fact, cakes.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (2/01/2007 3:46 PM) : 

Lis, Hubbs is the best! I think of these self saucing creations (there is a chocolate version out there) as the result of the mixture "separating" out, and of course with lovely consequences. My lemon version of this is even better the next day, the texture completely goes from light and fluffy to almost cheesecake...now that's some good lovin'.

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (2/01/2007 4:42 PM) : 

*pulling my hair* Lis, I don't know what's goin' on at Blogger (again!) My comment just can't show (again!)... ok lemme type again *cross my finger* Your hubby is such a darling!!! The cake is so lemon-y, sauce-y and lovin'!!!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/01/2007 5:30 PM) : 

That is definitely a nice thing to come home to.

My Mom babbles on about this "self saucing" chocolate pudding my Grandma used to make. I think it's a hint that she wants me to make her some, but it hasn't happened yet. After seeing your lemon pudding, I might have to make it afterall.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (2/01/2007 10:04 PM) : 

I admit that the name is off-putting but the photo looks quite tempting! Way to go Wayne! *Ensuring a good Valentine's gift is pretty darn slick* :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2/02/2007 12:52 AM) : 

Looks so good...on my to try!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/02/2007 7:44 AM) : 

Way to go hubbs!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/02/2007 11:17 AM) : 

Patricia - I'll tell him, thanks!

Helen - I can't wait to see yours! I know from scratch would be even more heavenly.

Gilly - That he is. :D

Rachel - I still haven't gotten off me arse to find out why yet, but I'd bet you are right. =)

Callipygia - Ohhh I want to try yours!!

Gattina - I know, I'm starting to really hate Blogger, even though I know I shouldn't bitch as it's free. Your comment did finally come through though - Yay! Thanks sweetie :D

Bril - You must.

Kev - He's a smart cookie, eh? =)

Claire - Please let me know what you think!

Ellie muh luv - He done good, eh? =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/02/2007 8:33 PM) : 

see...the parallel is so freaky...we are both blogging about our hubby although yours is in a positive light. your hubbs is a keeper. I'm impressed he even made dessert!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/02/2007 10:43 PM) : 

What a keeper he is! Mine grills out, but doesn't bake. He does do the laundry though and is excellent at cleaning up after I make cooking messes!
It is nice to be blessed, isn't it?

Tell Hubbs his cake/pudding looks fab!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/03/2007 8:29 PM) : 

Now that is one saucy self-saucing pudding!

I hope you thanked Hubbs properly!

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (2/04/2007 2:10 AM) : 

Your hubbs kicks arse!

 

Blogger christine said ... (2/07/2007 11:45 AM) : 

YUM!!! I love every aspect of that pudding! It seems easy to make, looks absolutely delicious, and sounds divine! I'm making this real soon. You've got a keeper for a husband there. :)

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (2/07/2007 2:20 PM) : 

Cake, Pudding, whatever, I find this incredibly edible. Give Hubbs a saucy hug from me as a thanks! He rules!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2/18/2007 4:09 AM) : 

wow, lucky you!!!

 

post a comment