Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, April 30, 2007

I wanna be a browniebabe!

I should have gotten this post in last week, but leave it to me to forget that the due date was approaching.. "Nooo I've got plenty of time.. I'll find something else to slack off on instead.." Doh.

Lemon Mousse Brownies

And so it's here! Today! One day after the Daring Bakers' post! Sorry to shove so much chocolate down your throats! But it's Browniebabe Day! Well not really, but it's the deadline to get your submission in. ;)

I really think this is a cool lil event, because hey.. who doesn't love a brownie now and again? And again? And again? Myriam of Once Upon a Tart blog fame has decided to highlight the brownie - to give the brownie it's much deserved day in the spotlight! And what dessert better deserves to be recognized than one that's always chocolatey rich.. Sometimes cakey, sometimes fudgey, sometimes ooey-gooey or sometimes chewy. The brownie makes any nut, chip, fruit, ice cream, peanut butter, caramel, marshamallow, anti-freeze or dog feces taste better! Not that I could really vouch for the last two items, but I'm confident enough in the brownie's capabilities to say that it is, in fact, a true statement!

Lemon Mousse Brownies

I found this recipe while on the search for a mousse recipe for the last HHDD and promptly added it to my Recipezaar cookbook, knowing full well I'd be making these for the Browniebabe event. Oh yes, from the minute I laid eyes on them, I knew.

These brownies were fab. To say the very least. So chocolatey, so rich, so chewy and ooey and gooey. They had a great tang from the lemon "mousse" on top and even more rich chocolately goodness came with a third layer of swirly-swizzed chocolate ganache. The Chocolate Gods were smiling upon my kitchen that day.

I just want y'all to know... I had ONE square brownie, Hubbs had one and the rest went to work and were devoured within minutes of my arrival, barely leaving the plastic wrap and plate unharmed in the whole horrific ordeal.

Lemon Mousse Brownies

My only bitch, if you can even call it that, about this brownie is that the lemon layer is described as a mousse. It wasn't a mousse, more of a custard. Which is just as good in my opinion. But if you're lookin for mousse, keep lookin'. =)

So here I am, throwing my hat brownie into the ring to run for this month's Browniebabe! Wooo! (I sure as hell hope there is no swimsuit competition! Yikes!)

Lemon Mousse Brownies
Lemon Mousse Brownies
Courtesy of Recipezaar.com & "Just Call Me Martha"

13 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 c. Unsalted butter
8 oz. Cream cheese
1 3/4 c. Sugar
3 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 c. Flour
3/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 oz. cream cheese
1/3 c. Lemon juice
1/4 c. Sugar
3 Eggs
6 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate
2/3 c. Whipping cream

Melt 13 oz. semi-sweet chocolate and butter together in double boiler. Remove from heat.

In mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar and eggs. Beat until well mixed.
Add in vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture and mix until smooth. Pour into greased 9" x 12" x 2" pan.

Beat 3 oz cream cheese, lemon juice and sugar until creamy and smooth. Continue beating while adding eggs one at a time. When well blended, pour over first layer. (will be thin, more like a custard base than a thicker mousse)

Place 6 oz chocolate and cream together and melt in double boiler. Stir until chocolate melts. Drizzle over lemon layer.

Bake at 350ยบ F for about 45-55 minutes.

Chill.

Lemon Mousse Brownies

Thanks for holding a cool lil event, Myriam! Hope this is turns into a monthly thing! =)

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "I wanna be a browniebabe!"

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (4/30/2007 2:23 PM) : 

Your pictures should be against the law. I'm drooling more than a St. Bernard. How moist and chocolately they look.

And you are also the first person that I have ever seen to incorporate dog feces into a cooking blog. :)

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (4/30/2007 3:43 PM) : 

Those last two pictures are total hookers! ;))
Those are most certainly brownie babies!!
I really think the lemon would be divine.
Do you realize you can see both the last pic of the brownies and "the cake" on the screen at the same time! Talk about chocolate!!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (4/30/2007 5:28 PM) : 

Oh wow, these look fantastic!! Nice and fudgy - just how I love my brownies!!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (4/30/2007 5:48 PM) : 

You just keep getting better and better, those brownies look fan-freaking-tastic!

 

Blogger browniegirl said ... (4/30/2007 6:13 PM) : 

I wish my monitor screen were edible right now. These devilishly handsome little brownies are tempting me and calling my name. First thing tomorrow I am gettin into it and making them!!! Your photos are awesome and very inspiring. Thank you, I always enjoy reading your posts.
Colly

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (4/30/2007 6:40 PM) : 

Those look beeyootiful! Do you think they'd be just as tasty without the two toppings (or maybe just the lemon one)? I'm kind of a purist...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/30/2007 7:56 PM) : 

If anybody needed proof that chocolate was sexy, all they'd have to do is look at this post.

Like, WOAH!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (4/30/2007 8:03 PM) : 

Oh bugger! Your gorgeous brownies have reminded me that I wanted to do this event and haven't yet had a chance to even look for a brownie recipe that I wanted to try!
Oh well, next month!
Before then, though, I'll have to try these!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (4/30/2007 9:29 PM) : 

Finally! You have been torturing me talking about them for the past week...OMG!!! Severe drool wipe-over needed here. Amazing! I am SO making them...OK can I be more enthusiastic ?! Sorry...

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (5/01/2007 12:57 AM) : 

Ohhh yeah....those look SOOO nice and gooey and perfect. No dry boring low-fat brownies here. :)

YUM!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/01/2007 2:03 AM) : 

My brownies always turn out like bricks. I must have had a traumatic brownie experience when young. Yours look terrific, of course. Chewy, moist, decadent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/01/2007 9:23 AM) : 

Lis - you are a total browniebabe - trust me! I love the sounds of having a lemon curd in the mix... original and generally awe-inspiring!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/01/2007 9:28 AM) : 

Cheryl - I should be proud of that, huh? heeee!

Tanna - lol I did not realize that.. now I gotta go look...

Deborah - Thanks!

Bril - awww tanx yew xoxo

collywolly - No, thank you for such a lovely compliment! I hope you come back and tell me how the brownies turned out for you!

Jessica - I think they'd still be divine with just the lemon and not the extra ganache on top, definitely!

Ellie muh luv - Ohh la la.. why thank you ;)

Jenny - Yeah if the kids and hubby like a little tang with their chocolate these should go over good. :D

Helene - HAHAHAHAHAA! YOU crack me up! xoxoxo

Kirsten - oh no.. definitely not low-fat. *sigh*

Kelly - hmm.. well maybe after we get off our diets (if ever??) we can have a coast to coast brownie baking day and maybe we'll cure your oven from making lil chocolatey bricks. =)

 

Blogger Freya said ... (5/01/2007 2:00 PM) : 

Yum! I love the lemon twist! And you know, I bet despite the simplicity of brownies, that they taste better than Marthas high-falutin cake!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/01/2007 2:20 PM) : 

great recipe...loved the pictures...really a delight...thanks for sharing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/01/2007 3:36 PM) : 

What a beautiful and delicious looking brownie. I can't believe you only ate just one. You have some serious willpower!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (5/01/2007 6:48 PM) : 

Lemon Mousse Brownies...definitely original as I have never seen them before. They look devine.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (5/01/2007 10:41 PM) : 

Licking the screen as I write this. Too yummy! ANd they have lemon with chocolate,which is an old favorite of mine. GREAT!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (5/02/2007 5:27 PM) : 

I ditto everyone else's comments: lemon and chocolate? luscious. But most of all- I am proud of you for eating only one. At the look of these, you demonstrated enormous self control!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (5/02/2007 9:07 PM) : 

Made them...OMG! Genius...we can't stop eating them. Thnak you thank you. These are the bombs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/02/2007 9:26 PM) : 

You're not a brownie babe with this one.....you are a brownie DIVA! Makes me really want to be able to eat chocolate whenever I want. Maybe the lemon with fool my body in thinking I am not really eating chocolate...hmmmm

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/02/2007 10:19 PM) : 

Freya - Yep, you'd be right! =)

Dilip - Aww thank you!

Kristen - tell me about it, I had to get them out of the house quickly!

Peabody - Thanks Gracie!

Elle - Me too, I heart citrus & chocolate

Callipygia - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Helene - Party on! Glad you guys liked them =)

Chris - hehe I'm sure the lemon trick would work! Your body won't even notice the chocolate. teee!

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (5/03/2007 10:41 AM) : 

Those look delish! The swimsuit comment cracked me up. I had to send my brownies to work with my husband. There's only 3 of us in my office, so the odds are good I'd end up eating them all, no matter the setting!

 

Blogger Sarah Bell said ... (5/03/2007 3:40 PM) : 

There are tongue marks on my screen and dribble on my keyboard.

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (5/03/2007 3:46 PM) : 

They look fabulous! I love chocolate and lemon together. Your pics are great - I could just reach out for a little (read big) nibble!

 

Blogger Monkey Wrangler said ... (5/03/2007 6:56 PM) : 

The "throw my hat/brownie into the ring" thing had me thinking hockey.

Can I come over for a hat-trick please?

With lemon-custard on top?

Please?

 

Blogger Laura said ... (5/04/2007 6:23 PM) : 

Hey browniebabe congratulations! I made me some lemon curd, I got me some chocolate soon I'll have me some award winning brownies! We'll need to be seeing a photo of that apron.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (5/04/2007 6:40 PM) : 

I can't believe I didn't comment before - omg, Lis!! I love citrus flavors and you go and pair them with chocolate? In a brownie?? Have you lost your mind, woman?? ;)

They look delicious!
xoxo

 

Blogger Kristen said ... (5/04/2007 7:37 PM) : 

Oh, my. Those are absolutely divine-looking. I think this might be what I bake next. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/04/2007 7:47 PM) : 

oh yummy! yours is truly the browniebabe of the month, congrats!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/06/2007 1:07 AM) : 

Jessica - tell me about it as I normally eat the whole damn pan of brownies. I've been KICKIN ASS at bringing all my goodies to work for the guys to devour - thank God for hungry roofers!

Sarah - haha! Thanks ;)

Kelly-Jane - why thank you =) Don't you wish you could just reach in the monitor for a taste sometimes? I'd probably never leave my PC. hahahaa!

Dylan - Of course you can! And bring that lil money with you too. :)

Laura - Oh that would be fabulous - I've LOVE to see your version of these!!

Patricia - Oh my dear sweet lady - I lost my mind many moons ago. teee!

Kristen - I hope you do, I'd love to see them and hear your opinion!

Eliza - Thank you so much! I'm so excited and honored! =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/08/2007 12:47 PM) : 

I'm drooling. These look so perfectly fudgy, and you know we agree on the glorious combination that is chocolate and lemon. Gorgeous photography, too!

 

post a comment