Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, May 21, 2007

The First Interview That Didn't Make My Palms Sweat

While reading one of my favorite blogs, Lucullian Delights, I came upon a post by the gorgeous Ilva that was an interview of sorts. She had been reading another a blog where the author had answered some questions from an interview and in return asked her readers if they'd like to be interviewed. Obviously, Ilva asked to be interviewed and she answered some really good questions pertaining to herself, not just some generic questions that have floated through the internets like those adorable (blechhhh) quizzes about yourself that all of your friends need to read to "get to know you". Ugh.

At the end of her interview she asked if we'd like to be interviewed and I didn't take more than 1/2 second to comment, "YES PLEASE!" A week or so ago, I received my interview questions from Ilva and have taken the time to think about the answers. This was fun and different, I enjoyed your questions, Ilva. =)

1. I asked Marce this but I just have to ask you too, what do you prefer, baking or cooking?
This one didn't require thinking, I answered it immediately - COOKING. God.
I love being a part of the Daring Bakers - and I am learning so many new things each month (this month kicked ass, kids!) but I don't have the patience. As some of you know, a couple of my challenge posts might give off the impression that I get a lil "stressed" while baking. Baking is precise. Cooking is not.. if I screw something up while cooking, 9 out of 10 times I can fix it.. if I screw something up in baking - I throw it out and try again. Gah. But don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it.. but ask me to make you a crepe cake or spaghetti and you'll be getting spaghetti for dessert. :P

2. Likes and dislikes about blogging please?
The number one thing I like LOVE about blogging is the people I've met. Granted, most of these people I'll never meet in person, and I'm okay with that because we all have to be realistic at least once in our lives, eh? As long as we can chat through e-mail, comments or on the phone, I can live without physically being there, as much as I'd like to be. The thing I dislike is, cyber hugs are really nice.. but I do wish I could give each and every one of you a real hug. =)
Secondly I like LOVE the recipes and the creativeness of my fellow foodie bloggers. You people BLOW ME AWAY! You inspire me to experiment more in my kitchen, you give me more confidence in my kitchen and you make me want to be a better cook. As for my favorite non-foodie bloggers.. you just bring me joy, laughter, tears and you make me think about things I wouldn't normally think about. What I dislike about this is, well nothing really - other than my growing list of recipes I "MUST MAKE" - Dear Sweet Jebus, there is no fakkin way I'll get through that list in my lifetime.
And finally (although I could go on forever I'm sure) what I like LOVE about blogging is expressing myself and having an outlet that allows me to write (I do it badly but I love to write). Journal keeping is nice and I've done it all my life - but it's not as much fun making myself laugh as it is making you laugh. Which is what I hope I'm doing.. at least once in a while. ;) On the flip side, I don't like so much that I can't be completely open. I try to keep my family, friends and work out of my blog as much as possible. Which actually, is probably a good thing after all - or this blog would turn into the biggest ranting and raving blog you've ever read (don't EVEN get me started about work) and not so much about food anymore. hehee

3. Who would be your ideal dinner guest? And your dream guest?
I guess my ideal dinner guest would be someone who really appreciated what I cooked for them. Not just a "that was great" and a burp at the end of it all, but someone who really let me know they appreciated the time and effort I put into it. Oh yeah and of course, they'd jump right up after praising me and wash my dishes. haha! No, not really.. ?
My dream guest.. hmm.. this one is a toughie. I first thought about saying one of the many chefs or foodie bloggers that have inspired and taught me the most.. you know, so I can show them what they've done for me by making them a fabulous meal and a perfectly decorated and delicious cake (this is a dream guest, remember!). But, and don't look now but she got all mooshey on us - my dream guest would be my dad. I never got to cook for him. Sure I made his dinners when he was sick, but he wouldn't eat much more than a plate of garlic & oil spaghetti (up until the day he died, kids! How's that for a dedicated Dago? Garlic to the end!), salads & a sandwich now and again. I never got to make him my lasagna, my version of his linguine & clam sauce, hell any of my versions of his recipes. The sauce! Holy shit, I know he'd pinch himself if he knew I made the sauce now. Yeah.. my dad would definitely be my dream guest - I'd make him a little of everything and I'd tell him how much I love him and I'd thank him for teaching me so much.

4. When you were a little girl, what did you dream of?
hahaha! I didn't dream of cooking, that's for sure!! I wanted nothing to do with cooking when I was younger (pre-teen). Do you know what I thought about? Sharks. Yep.. sharks, rays and skates. I was totally fascinated by them and I read anything and everything I could get my hands on regarding them. I wanted to be an Ichthyologist when I grew up! It was cool, when I was in the 4th grade my teacher noticed what I was reading and she brought me in lots of books on the subject. Eugenie Clark was my idol. I especially loved her books describing what it was like to fall in love with a shark she'd seen at an aquarium and growing up to become an Ichthyologist. But alas, there aren't too many oceans in Ohio.. and then the thought of squeezing my thighs into a wet suit wasn't as appealing anymore.. so yeah, I kinda grew out of fantasizing about swimming with sharks. Boys also had a good deal in helping with that. Bad boys! Bad! :P

5. And I have asked this before to other interviewees but I just love to hear how people met their partners so where and how did you meet your husband?
Well this one isn't much of a story really. We work together. So I met him at my place of employment almost 11 years ago. He was married at the time. And for the first couple years we were the "Hi. Bye. How was your weekend?" kind of friends. I'd say it was my 2nd year there when we found out he and his wife were divorcing. Maybe 8 months or so after that, one of the guys asked me if I'd like to join all of them in taking him out to cheer him up. I agreed, and that night he and I ended up sitting at a table together just BS'ing and we realized we had lots in common - which is kinda weird as he's quite a bit older than I am. So after that night, we started to become better friends.. he'd take me fishing on the occasional weekend. Nothing too shocking, just hanging out once in a while. But as the months passed, we spent more and more time together and I'd say about a year later we decided to take it to another level and here we are today. We've been together now for 7 years. =)

So that's it! My interview is over and I had fun! Thanks Ilva!

Now comes the part where I tell you how you can carry on this interview thing, if you'd like.

DIRECTIONS FOR THE INTERVIEW MEME
1. Leave a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. Beware, I'm not shy of asking personal questions! Please make sure I have your email address.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

That's pretty much how Ilva wrote the instructions and I liked the part about not being shy of asking personal questions so I kept it. :D 'kay kids.. let me know that you want to be interviewed and I promise to get your questions to you as soon as I can! =)

xoxo

Labels:

Comments on "The First Interview That Didn't Make My Palms Sweat"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/21/2007 8:28 AM) : 

OK, Hon, I'm game. Gimme yer best shot!

 

Blogger Ilva said ... (5/21/2007 8:55 AM) : 

I'm very happy you asked me! Thanks for answering my questions so WELL (I give you an AA++) and I do understand your choice for your dream guest!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (5/21/2007 10:07 AM) : 

It's not too late Lis- the ichthyologists everywhere want you to become one of them!

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (5/21/2007 10:32 AM) : 

Lis, after reading this (even before... from how I feel), you are such a darling xoxo. There's a pretty big age gap between my husband and me too :)
sorry I can't join the game although I 110% want to! Something going on in here, but I will tell you gals by next week or so :)

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (5/21/2007 11:01 AM) : 

Heck why not, ask away!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (5/21/2007 11:05 AM) : 

I love reading these - it's so fun to find out more about people!!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (5/21/2007 12:54 PM) : 

ooooh, oooh, interview me! i'll spill my guts!

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (5/21/2007 2:12 PM) : 

I'm in... interview me. :)

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (5/21/2007 5:09 PM) : 

Lis, I loved reading your answers. ; o )

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (5/21/2007 5:47 PM) : 

What a great bunch of questions and totally terrific answers! The more I get to know you, the more I like you ... is there a song there.
I'm waiting for my questions from Ilva so maybe you should send me some and I'll put them together!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (5/21/2007 6:51 PM) : 

An Ichthyologist?! no wonder I like you so much. Thanks for sharing.

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (5/21/2007 7:06 PM) : 

Okay, Lis....I'm game. I think...hehehe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/21/2007 7:40 PM) : 

Hey Lis, if I dig around in the archives, will I find the recipes you talk about that were your Dad's and your version of your Dad's? I can only imagine.

And ditto on the bloggin' buddies. Your site was one of the first I found when I started about two months ago ( I can't believe it's only been that long) and I was hooked because of your amazing blog-sonality. It glows!

What a great interview. If you need another person, let me know, but I'm sure you've already had an ear full on my other blog, right?

Hugs to you, oh fabulous one!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (5/21/2007 8:31 PM) : 

I loved loved loved your answers. And yes, the one about your dad made me turn to moosh...
And I have leaned a new english word: ichthyologist...dang!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (5/21/2007 10:27 PM) : 

What a great interview! I have had to much going on, I had actually forgotten about Ilva's post! (Shame on me.) Interview me! (melecotte@gmail.com)

 

Blogger Columbus Foodie said ... (5/22/2007 1:12 AM) : 

Great answers!

Count me in - interview me. It will give me something to do while waiting between the steps when I attempt the DB challenge for this month tomorrow. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/22/2007 3:41 AM) : 

Interview me
http://lydia1722.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (5/22/2007 3:47 AM) : 

Oh yay!! What a wonderful interview.

Your dream guest answer about your dad made me cry...I still remember one of your first posts that got me hooked on your blog about duplicating your dad's squid recipe.

Interview me????!!!??

xoxo, Kirsten

 

Blogger Laura said ... (5/22/2007 4:33 AM) : 

Great interview Lis I'm a nosy person at heart so I like that you shared some meaningful stuff. And yes ichthyologist is now my word for the week, I wonder if I could teach my little one to say it, the rays are her favourite exhibit at the aquarium in Dingle! I'll just have to figure out how to say it myself first....

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (5/22/2007 4:52 AM) : 

I agree, the people are the best part of food blogging.
BTW- Gracie lives again. My ankle is the size of a grapefruit. :)

 

Blogger Freya said ... (5/22/2007 7:14 AM) : 

Go on then, you've twisted my arm. You can ask me and Paul anything you like!
I love your answers as well Lis!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/22/2007 7:25 AM) : 

Great answers, I particularly loved your answer for the third question - that was such a beautiful answer!

xo

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (5/22/2007 2:42 PM) : 

That's a great interview, well done Ilva with your questions. Lisa you have really taken the time to answer properly (()) :)

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (5/22/2007 2:48 PM) : 

Holy cow! You are now the Barbara Walters of "Fwood Bwoggars." :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/22/2007 4:06 PM) : 

What a fun bloggity blogging game! And your answers are great. Despite having nothing to do with food, I like your story of meeting your mister.
If you aren't already sick of asking people questions, I'll play. :-)

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (5/23/2007 12:36 AM) : 

This was fun to read, Lis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/23/2007 9:07 AM) : 

http://lydia1722.blogspot.com/

here you can read my answers...
thanksssssssssssssss

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (5/23/2007 4:18 PM) : 

Lis - thanks for interviewing me!! It's live!

http://homecookkirsten.blogspot.com/2007/05/about-cook-interview-with-kirsten.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/23/2007 9:47 PM) : 

I agree with you on so many things, especially your likes (I mean, LOVES) about blogging. :) I too have a growing list of recipes I have to make, though I don't know when I'll ever find the time to try them all!

Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/23/2007 11:14 PM) : 

Sharks...oh you crack me up!

I only let a few select family members and friends know about my blog... it is my space and I don't want to have to censor my writing :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/23/2007 11:45 PM) : 

I loved your answers. And I totally understand that you'd want your dad as a dinner guest!

 

Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said ... (5/24/2007 2:48 PM) : 

Just read Tanna's interview which lead me here. Great answers. Want to read more now but must read to children and get them to bed. Your answer about your dad being your ideal dinner guest brought a tear to my eye and made me realise I must see more of the people I love ! Amanda

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/24/2007 5:03 PM) : 

Hi Lis! LOL you never fail to make me giggle - I loved the answers to all of your posts!

Fire some questions my way!

 

Blogger monica said ... (5/27/2007 2:50 AM) : 

great answers! i'm game...interview me

 

Blogger Tara said ... (5/28/2007 8:50 PM) : 

I know you've already had a lot of ppl asking to be interviewed - but could you interview me? PRETTY please with chocolate topping and sprinkles and cream and nuts and a cherry on top!!

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (6/04/2007 10:52 PM) : 

I finally, finally, finally got my interview questions up! Sorry it took so long!

 

post a comment