Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

My Annual Gardening Brag :)

Every year, Hubbs and I spend hours upon hours cleaning out our flower beds, planting new flowers, dividing established plants, mulching, weeding, roto-tilling the vegetable garden & planting the veggies, etc. We also spend hundreds of dollars on new plants each year. My God, we need a 12 step program. It got so bad this year that we nervously joked, as we were walking out of the last nursery we hit with our huge bootie of gorgeous perennials & annuals, that we could very well lose the house because we had just spent some of the mortgage money.. but hot damn it'll look fantabulous at the Sheriff's Auction!

He's always had a green thumb and has always had flower beds and gardens throughout his life. I, on the other hand, never had either. Oh sure, my mom would buy a few impatiens every year and plant in the lil flower bed outside of our back porch, but that was it. The closest we ever had to a garden was an Italian plum tree, which died when I was in my mid-teens. So, when I bought my first house I promised myself that the yards would be beautiful and, lucky me, he feels the same way.

So keeping up the tradition of showing my blogging friends some of what we've planted and cared for - the rest of this post will be photos of this year's beauties. Happy Summer to all of my northern hemisphere friends! To everyone else who are starting (or will be starting in the near future) to experience the colder temps, I hope these photos warm you up a bit! Enjoy :D

Sweet William
Sweet William

Columbine
Columbines

Coleus Saavy
My absolute favorite Coleus "Saavy" LOVE the Autumn-like colors =)

That autumn leafy looking thing I bought last year that I covet
The other plant with Autumn-like colors that I covet, but still don't know what the hell it is. :D

Giant Peony
Peony - they got HUGE this year

Snapdragons
Snapdragons

Dahlia Dahlia
Two of my 3 smaller variety Dahlias (my favorite flower), the 3rd was just budding when I took these photos, but I'll post later because it's gorgeous!

Lady Luck
"Lady Luck" is what the tag said, not sure what kind of flower this is though.

Herbs Oregano & Cilantro
Pineapple sage Lavender
1- My herb pot. This year, lots and lots of basil, chives, tarragon, thyme and sage. 2- Big old bucket o'cilantro and smaller planter is oregano. 3- Pineapple sage. 4- Lavender in a bed that obviously needs weeded again. Also that lil curly looking vine coming through our new fence? A gorgeous Clematis that he thought he killed last year when he put the new fence up.. now it's sandwiched between the old and new fences - so he's going to take some boards off and try to bring it inside the new fence. Oops a daisy!

Zinnias
And my most favorite photo of the summer - our new Zinnias. Do they rock or do they not rock, people?! They totally rock. :D

More pictures here

xoxo

Labels: ,

Comments on "My Annual Gardening Brag :)"

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (6/06/2007 10:27 AM) : 

Holy friggin crap!! (pardon my french here). Your garden is absolutely amazing!!! It will look beautiful at the sheriff sale :)

I have so much admiration for those who love to garden and work outside. I hate yard work and gardening. I would rather clean my house with a toothbrush than go outside and work. So I will just live through your insanely beautiful yard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/06/2007 10:53 AM) : 

Wow! That is a beautiful garden...looks so professionally landscaped. Love those herb pots too.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (6/06/2007 11:54 AM) : 

Lis I know you told me how much gardening and buying you were doing...but I had no idea. They are so gorgeous. I love them and am sure they bring a beautiful smile on your face!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/06/2007 11:54 AM) : 

Great photos, Lis. I love gardening and really appreciate gorgeous flowers. We can't grow hostas or peonies here -- well, they could probably make it, but wouldn't exactly thrive.

The one plant you weren't sure about is called "lantana." It comes in lots of multi colors and a lavendar, and white, etc. It grows like crazy in mediterranean climates.

Sorry. Rambling. Inherited my grandmother's blathering about plants thingy.

hugs...

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (6/06/2007 12:32 PM) : 

Can you come help me with my yard??? This is our first year with a house. My husband definitely has a green thumb - he has done wonders with our grass. I have planted flowers, herbs, and a few veggies, but none of them look as amazing as yours!

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (6/06/2007 12:32 PM) : 

Just fabulous. I especially love Zinnias too.

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (6/06/2007 1:05 PM) : 

Wow -- with a garden like that, you have every reason to "brag!"

 

Blogger Sara said ... (6/06/2007 1:33 PM) : 

Wow Lis! Your thumbs must glow in the dark, they be so green!!!! Great pictures, I am totally jealous over here.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (6/06/2007 1:38 PM) : 

Now that B. built the house I have a whole blank canvas for the garden and I have no freaking clue where to start! You so have to come here and help me out!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/06/2007 1:49 PM) : 

You are having a Sheriff's Auction? I bet it isn't quite as much fun as I'm thinking.

Anyway, I love your garden. I think that your "Lady Luck" is a type of verbena if I am remembering correctly. I also have that pineapple sage and I'm trying to figure out how to best us it. Ed gets mad at me (so do the hummingbirds) when I pinch off the fire red blossoms to encourage more plant growth.

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (6/06/2007 2:18 PM) : 

My black thumb and I congratulate you... gorgeous!

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (6/06/2007 5:04 PM) : 

Fabulous pictures! Peonies are one of my absolute favourites, and you Sweet Williams, absolutely gorgeous :)

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (6/06/2007 5:56 PM) : 

The "Lady Luck" is definitely Lantana, it grows like crazy here in Texas. I LOVE zinnias and dahlias, and that peony is the pink of perfection!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/06/2007 7:13 PM) : 

Yes, they rock. Your garden is beautiful. Makes me want to get a glass of iced tea and sit a bit.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (6/06/2007 7:30 PM) : 

Weren't you and your hubby thinking of taking a trip to Atlanta? I didn't see thay in the post...:) You might want send me a list of your gardening tool preferences, so you don't get busted at airport security.

Fab Garden my friend....simply fab!

 

Blogger Anne said ... (6/06/2007 9:28 PM) : 

OMG! you grow all of these?! They are absolutely beautiful :)

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (6/06/2007 9:46 PM) : 

How beautiful!!! I am quite jealous since I have a black thumb and am the only person I know to kill a cactus.

 

Blogger jini said ... (6/07/2007 12:12 AM) : 

the autumn colored plant is a heuchera or coral bells. i have them in my minnesota garden. i can't remember the exact name of that variety, but maybe it's marmalade.
your garden is lovely.....all in bloom and tantalizing.

 

Blogger Anuhea said ... (6/07/2007 6:51 PM) : 

What unbelievable colors and beautiful flowers...I can honestly say, being in Hawaii, I have never seen most of those types of flowers in my life! What a great (non-edible) treat! Thanks!

 

Blogger tammy said ... (6/07/2007 8:45 PM) : 

Wow. Please e-mail me when the Sheriff's Auction is taking place.

 

Blogger Warda said ... (6/08/2007 7:19 AM) : 

How lucky you are to have all those beautiful flowers. My grandma used to say that when somebody grows plants and his garden and takes really good care of it, he will have a bed of flowers in heaven.

 

Blogger Sally said ... (6/08/2007 7:51 AM) : 

I believe your "unknown" autumn plant is a huchera a/k/a coral bells. Very pretty leaves. And look at those silver leaves on yor dahlia! Beautiful.

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (6/08/2007 10:42 AM) : 

Love the peonies Lisa! They remind me of my great grandmother as she had them growing in the edge of her yard. My mother has some "transplants" from that same plant and she shared some with me just last year. Mine aren't big enough to bloom yet but maybe next year. Lovely photos!!!!

 

Blogger browniegirl said ... (6/08/2007 5:21 PM) : 

A garden to brag about Lis indeed.It looks wonderful. I could easily sit out there and read a book. I believe that your plant that you dont know the name of is a Heuchera possibly "creme brulee" "amber waves" or "marmalade". I love your herb pots. Well done :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/10/2007 10:20 AM) : 

*sigh* I'm so jealous! My garden is slowly losing all it's colour while yours looks like it's just about exploded with bright blooms!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/11/2007 9:35 AM) : 

What a beautiful collection. You deserve to brag about this... it is all gorgeous!

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (6/11/2007 2:59 PM) : 

Oh myGod, so ashamed. My garden is a jungle. no exageration.Overgrown lawn (big time overgrown)..

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (6/13/2007 2:19 AM) : 

See I wanted to comment on this the whole of last week, when I first read it in my reader but ever since I got a year older it seems I have lost another brain cell Ho Hum!!

Lis, your garden looks like a wonderful haven. I can hardly say I have a green thumb - but I do try and the results I get are very difficult. But you --- this is just as gorgeous as you are!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/13/2007 6:17 AM) : 

Thanks everyone!! We do enjoy it, that's for sure =)

Thanks to Kellypea and jini, Sally & Collywolly - the Lady Luck is definitely Lantana and the autumn colored plant I love is definitely a Heuchera, Amber Waves. (yesss we went back to the nursery. Yesss I bought more.. after I checked out the correct names of those 2 plants. ;) And yesss I need a 12 step program ASAP.)

xoxo

 

post a comment