Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, January 02, 2009

Not Tho Daring When Thee's Got a Stuffed Node, Ith Thee?

Many, many apologies to The Daring Bakers, Hilda, and Marion for not getting my French Yule Log up by the designated reveal date! I am so sorry!

Hubbs thinks he's funny...
Hubbs thought he was being funny.. har dee har har.

This was a fantastic challenge - in every sense of the word. And I have to say, Hilda and Marion did an amazing job as hostesses for the month of December - as the questions were flying left and right. And what a great group of bakers we have! The logs I've seen this past week have just blown me away with all the different flavor combinations, creativity in decorating and just pure awesomeness! Congratulations to all who participated! :)

So a little introduction..

This month's challenge is brought to us by the adventurous Hilda from Saffron and Blueberry and Marion from Il en Faut Peu Pour Etre Heureux.
They have chosen a French Yule Log by Flore from Florilege Gourmand

French Yule Log
Once again, my mad frosting skillz are top notch!

The rest of this post is going to be short and sweet (for me).. I'm pretty sure by now ya'll have gotten the gist of the challenge this month, yes? :)

I went with a caramel mousse, lemon creme brulee, dark chocolate crisp (I used rice krispies), dark chocolate ganache and then a dark chocolate icing. Ya'll might notice the base of my log is a wee bit different from everyone else's.. well *blush* my almond daquoise kind of started smoking and then full on burned in the oven as the "chef" might have been on the phone and not paying attention. *sigh* Unfortunately, I didn't have another nut in the house - other than moi - so I had to improvise.. I chose to do a graham cracker crust because, well.. that's all I had in the pantry that was uhmmm.. crusty. :P

So the big thing with this challenge was time.. it's time consuming to put something so magnificent together. But all 6 of the components? Easy as pie. I had no problems whatsoever with anything other than the aforementioned "casualty".

French Yule Log
It's too bad you can't really see the creme brulee insert.. and I took the advice from other DBer's and broke up the crisp layer for easier cutting - I don't think I broke it up small enough though because cutting through that layer was pretty difficult.

The taste? OHMYGOD, I have never before had a frozen treat that tasted so amazing. The tart lemon brulee is exactly what the caramel mousse needed to keep this dessert from being overly sweet. Going with dark chocolate for all of the chocolate components also helped with the problem of being too sweet. Caramel, citrus and dark chocolate are truly an amazing combination. And the different textures were just fabulous as well.. the mousse and brulee were very creamy, yet different as the creme brulee was more dense. The ganache was probably my favorite texture wise as it reminded me of the ONLY part of those Dairy Queen ice cream cakes that I enjoy. hee! And well.. the crumbly graham cracker crust was perfect in adding something different to the mix.

French Yule Log
Oh Look! It's levitating! :D

truly loved this challenge and will definitely make this again next Christmas - and I might even get it done IN TIME for Christmas! ;)

Thanks so much Hilda and Marion for a truly "Daring" challenge! And HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! :)

xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Not Tho Daring When Thee's Got a Stuffed Node, Ith Thee?"

 

Blogger Holly said ... (1/02/2009 6:06 PM) : 

I'm so glad you got to complete the challenge!

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (1/02/2009 7:20 PM) : 

Happy new year, foodie friend!

Your yule log sounds terrific -- mmm,lemon creme brulee with caramel mousse!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (1/02/2009 7:30 PM) : 

Way to finally get it done slacker. ;) Says the girl that didn't have to do it.
Glad it worked out well for you.

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (1/02/2009 7:34 PM) : 

HAR!! I love your Hubster (in strictly the sister way, you know!).

Lis, I am amazed that you were able to keep your head up to get this done considering how awful you've felt. Not to mention I do believe your frosting skills are getting better sweets! Seriously.

Did you put a piece in the freezer for me?!

 

Blogger Hilda said ... (1/02/2009 8:51 PM) : 

Very funny of the hubs. I'm really glad you actually made it since you enjoyed it so much (it would have pretty much sucked if you'd said you didn't like it after being sick and making yourself do it!) I thought about making caramel mousse instead of chocolate but the fam figured they would prefer a fruit mousse (and since I pretty much couldn't eat any, well, I decided to leave the usual despotic dictatorship system aside for once...) Now you know you pretty much can keep that going for a while in the freezer right? until you've regained all sensation in your mouth and nose that is... ;) You and Ivonne rock for creating the DBs in the first place!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (1/03/2009 1:57 AM) : 

Here's to all us sickies! This was way out there for us! I want more of that crisp!
Your hubs is a really fun guy :) keep him.

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (1/03/2009 9:12 AM) : 

I think its great that hubs supports you with your blogging and baking endeavors. Your Yule looks droolworthy for sure!!!

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (1/03/2009 5:18 PM) : 

Oh my... it's there! In all it's glory! Why didn't I think of caramel mousse to go withthe lime. Yikes! I love it.

 

Blogger Faery said ... (1/03/2009 10:04 PM) : 

Beutiful, I knew it was beautiful and yummy too, it was woth waiting :)
I have a surprise waiting for you in my blog
Hope you feel better

 

Blogger Sara said ... (1/03/2009 10:54 PM) : 

deer leeth, i'b sick too. hode you feel better toborrow.

 

Blogger Cristine said ... (1/04/2009 9:48 AM) : 

What a beautiful log! I bet the lemon tasted fantastic! Great job!

Hope you are feeling better!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/04/2009 12:02 PM) : 

Nice Job Lis. Seriously. I'm drooling over the lemon with the caramel and the crunch...nomnomnom. This could rival the mothership...I'm chucklin' over that hubbs of yours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/04/2009 7:23 PM) : 

Great job , sis! And your hubbs is too funny!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (1/05/2009 7:27 AM) : 

Ooh I love the idea of the graham crust!
And your little message board - nice job on the note Mr. Cucina!

 

Blogger Dharm said ... (1/05/2009 8:03 AM) : 

Yayy! So happy to see your log up! It looks fabulous and your flavour choices sound super too! Hubs is sooo funny!!

 

Blogger Elle said ... (1/05/2009 12:24 PM) : 

Glad you are feeling better sweetie. Your log is just lovely & the flavor combo sounds sooo yummy. I love citrus and chocolate combined, so adding caramel is excellent. Sorry about the daquoise, but distractions DO happen :)

 

Blogger Deeba PAB said ... (1/06/2009 8:44 AM) : 

our hubs is hysterical & am glad youmade it. Terrific choice of flavours...oooooooh, I want to make it all over again!!Have a great 2009!!

 

Blogger Clumbsy Cookie said ... (1/06/2009 11:46 AM) : 

Yay! I'm so happy to see it finally! Tasty choices!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/07/2009 6:13 AM) : 

Mmmmmm. Sounds yummy...

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (1/07/2009 2:20 PM) : 

Glad to see you're feeling better Lis! Happy New Year to you!

 

Blogger Cakelaw said ... (1/07/2009 6:06 PM) : 

Hi Lis, Happy New Year! Hope you are on the road to recovery from your cold. Your log looks great. I laughed about the fate of the dacquoise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/10/2009 4:46 PM) : 

Lis, I LOVE your log! Wait, that sounds a little pervy doesn't it? ;P

 

Blogger Cookie baker Lynn said ... (1/13/2009 11:00 AM) : 

That looks amazingly good. Much better late than never!

 

Blogger The Blonde Duck said ... (1/14/2009 5:58 AM) : 

I stopped in from Abby Sweets to say hi!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/14/2009 1:59 PM) : 

Your blog is super. So are your photographies. They make me hungry. I have spent a nice moment when seeing them. Thanks a lot.

 

Blogger ... said ... (1/19/2009 7:51 PM) : 

Since I love your blog... I've left this award for you. Pick it up here...
http://socalpastrychef.blogspot.com/2009/01/omg-my-first-award.html

... and thanks.

 

Blogger *The Beautiful Life* said ... (1/28/2009 11:55 AM) : 

BLOG AWARD ALERT!! :)

I just nominated you for a blog award!! Click over to my blog to pick it up!

XOXO,
Ruth

 

post a comment