Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, August 14, 2009

Rice with Mushrooms, Squid and Artichokes

This month we were all treated to learn how to make an authentic Spanish meal that was time consuming, but easy and so worth the hours of slow cooking. Olga of Las Cosas de Olga and Olga's Recipes, was our hostess and wow, what an amazing job she did! Thank you so much, Olga! :)

I really don't have much to say about the recipe, other than it truly was delicious and it made my house smell amazing. I followed the recipe almost exactly - my only changes were to caramelize my onions slowly over low heat for about an hour before adding the rest of the veggies for the Sofregit, I used canned fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of fresh because our garden tomatoes aren't ready yet and I refuse to buy the tasteless tomatoes from the grocery store.

8-9-09

Oh and I used squid instead of the cuttlefish that was the original seafood ingredient, just because you'd have a better chance of meeting Elvis at the local library than you would of finding cuttlefish at the grocery stores/fish markets in these parts. ;)

8-9-09 (1)

I really took my time with the Sofregit.. mainly because of what other members were saying about theirs and I knew it'd make way too much for what the recipe called for, so I wanted the remainder to be really concentrated in flavor so I could use it to spread of bruschetta for a lil get together I'm having in a few weeks. And I'm glad I did, that stuff is amazing. I'm almost thinking of just serving it in a big bowl with a loaf of crusty bread torn up around it so people can just dip.. YUM.

8-9-09 (2)

I was concerned, initially, about rubbery squid. From many past experiences I know that you've got two choices with squid - cooked quickly, or cooked for hours and you will get tender slices.. cooked in between those two times and you're just asking for a mouth full of rubber. Although you don't cook the squid for tooooooo long in this dish, it's longer that what I've had success with in the past and much, much shorter of a time than my dad's Christmas Calamari sauce that I cherish. But to my surprise it came out super tender! It was fantastic!

I used Arborio rice since we needed a short grain rice and it made the dish extra creamy and delicious. This is definitely a dish that needs a good starchy short grain rice to give it an extra kick of wonderfulness. I now realize why the paella I made years ago was just "okay" instead of really good like this dish. I used regular long grain rice that I always have in my pantry. Now I'm rarin' to make Paella again using the Arborio. I'm looking forward! :)

8-9-09 (3)

If you like Spanish cuisine, I highly recommend this dish. Try it! :D

Check out the other Daring Cooks' versions of this recipe.. I guarantee you'll be listing the ingredients on a grocery list in the not too distant future. ;)

xoxo

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Rice with Mushrooms, Squid and Artichokes"

 

Blogger Anh said ... (8/14/2009 5:14 AM) : 

This looks good. Talking about squid, I still remember your squid pasta recipe! I know it's ages since you posted it, but I gotta try it!!

 

Blogger zorra said ... (8/14/2009 5:41 AM) : 

Looks just perfect! Yummy, now I'm hungry!

 

Blogger Anna said ... (8/14/2009 6:07 AM) : 

That looks very delicious! I also enjoyed this month's challenge a lot and loved it :) Cheers

 

Blogger Karen | Citrus and Candy said ... (8/14/2009 6:16 AM) : 

I was thinking of using Arborio as I couldn't find any short grain rice (believe it or not) but I was scared abt how it'd turn out. I ended up using medium grain but judging from yours, looks like I had nothing to worry about :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8/14/2009 6:42 AM) : 

Great job. Congratulations to both you and you husband!!

 

Blogger Dharm said ... (8/14/2009 7:09 AM) : 

Oh superb! I didnt have time to make the challenge this month... its getting a bit like that. BUT I have a good excuse.. it was wifey's birthday on the 12th... AND I thought the challenge posting date was the 17th...hehehehe

 

Blogger Mary said ... (8/14/2009 9:01 AM) : 

It looks fantastic! I never did get around to getting myself some squid and trying it. :(

By the way, I'm not avoiding you, I still don't know about Oct. 3rd. I'll let you know as soon as I can!

 

Anonymous veron said ... (8/14/2009 9:23 AM) : 

sis! I'm drooling over my keyboard! This is looks delicious and I love Spanish rice recipes!

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (8/14/2009 9:58 AM) : 

Lis - no snafus, and your dish turned out amazingly beautiful, not to mention scrummy looking as hell! I'm with you on the rice...plain long grain just does NOT cut it when it comes to paellas of any sort. I learned that years ago after embarrassing myself at a dinner..lol I wish I had been able to participate, but hey..I have ribs I made a month ago! lol

 

Blogger ValĂ©rie said ... (8/14/2009 10:58 AM) : 

It looks delicious! Good call caramelizing the onions for the sauce - wish I'd thought of it!

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (8/14/2009 11:37 AM) : 

Yum!! I loved this dish as well =D. Yours looks absolutely delicious. Love the idea for brushetta. My brother made some burgers with the sofregit mixed into the patties to use some of ours up =D.

 

Blogger The Food Hunter said ... (8/14/2009 12:39 PM) : 

This looks great..all of my favorite things in one dish.

 

Blogger Michele said ... (8/14/2009 3:56 PM) : 

Great job Lis! I'm so happy that you loved this recipe!! Is that W modeling the squid?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/14/2009 7:11 PM) : 

I thought I would be the only one to take so long on just the onions. Your kung fu is strong.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/14/2009 9:48 PM) : 

This looks great. I went with the squid as well. Which aioli did you try?

 

Blogger Heather B said ... (8/14/2009 10:58 PM) : 

Looks delicious! Love your idea of using the Sofregit on bruschetta.

 

Blogger Audax said ... (8/15/2009 4:57 AM) : 

WOnderful and it a little odd how the squid comes out so tender in this dish. You are right it needs a starchy rice. Next time I will do the fry the onions for over an hour. Bravo on this great effort. Cheers from Audax in Australia

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (8/15/2009 10:13 PM) : 

Sounds pretty amazing! Maybe I could do just that tomato part ;)

 

Blogger Rose said ... (8/19/2009 12:26 PM) : 

Looks fantastic! Well done on the challenge!

 

Blogger TeaLady said ... (8/21/2009 7:43 PM) : 

This looks soooo good.

I so wish I had been able to find squid/cuttlefish etc. someone made it with chicken, so maybe I can do that..

 

Anonymous kellypea said ... (8/24/2009 1:04 AM) : 

I still have yet to post a DK challenge. Call me a loser. Seriously. And I truly thought I'd try this one. I'm drooling just thinking about it because I'm a sucker for calamari. Yum. In anything Spanish, I'm there. You can Fed Ex it to me, right?

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (8/26/2009 11:56 PM) : 

Mmm, I love me some squid in pasta. This looks really good.

 

Blogger Dewi said ... (8/27/2009 11:06 AM) : 

Quite tempting and delicious looking rice!

 

Anonymous Juliana said ... (8/27/2009 4:45 PM) : 

Yummie, this rice dish looks delicious...unfortunately my husband does not care for squid, but I'd love to try it! :-)

 

post a comment