Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, November 27, 2009

Holy Cannoli! It's Reveal Day!!!

Zoinks.

I haven't moved much today. Tripto-whatever is still kickin' it in my blood stream. Completely forgot it was reveal day. And then I remembered because I had to get the recipe up on the Daring Kitchen website.. and then I forgot about it again.. or more specifically, that I ALSO had to post on my own lil blog.

DOH.

The November 2009 Daring Bakers Challenge was chosen and hosted by Lisa Michele of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. She chose the Italian Pastry, Cannolo (Cannoli is plural), using the cookbooks Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and The Sopranos Family Cookbook by Allen Rucker; recipes by Michelle Scicolone, as ingredient/direction guides. She added her own modifications/changes, so the recipe is not 100% verbatim from either book

It's now 11:30 at night.. Neither of us, or the kids, have moved much from the sofa and love-seat today. I have drank what I believe to be 1/4th of Lake Erie since awakening this morning at 6:30 (I slept in! WOOOOO HOOO!). Unfakkinbelievably dry pipes today kids. WTF?

If you've friended me on Facebook, you might have noticed how proud I was yesterday when I managed to cook 99.9% (my mom still makes the bird, bless her heart) of our Thanksgiving meal, INCLUDING the Daring Baker challenge, with 1 whole hour to spare before the family arrived. Keep in mind that I even whacked a few mobsters, planted a field of grapes, fed and then sold 1000's of fishes, and cooked two dishes eleventy billion times for my virtual cafe as well. Oh yes, yesterday was a BUSY day. Also? My Name is Lisa and I'm an FB games addict. *sigh*

Here's what I DIDN'T DO - I didn't photograph my cutsie lil mini cannoli. Basically because as soon as they were filled, the vultures zoomed in and they were all GONE. I got ONE. I filled TWENTY. But fear not, you lovers of horrible photography! I saved 6 shells for W and I because I knew we'd want some today. :D

But.. then.. I was wrong. We didn't want them today. When I brought them up to him, he went kinda green around the gills. Frankly, when I mentioned them, I got a lil nauseous myself. No! NO! Not because they were horrible - they were DELICIOUS - everyone declared they were the best cannoli they'd ever had. Seriously. It's just that we gorged so much yesterday that the thought of most food made us queasy today. I ate a handful of chips around noonish (washed 'em down with a gallon of water).. he had toast just before that.. and then I managed to make spaghetti tonight.. and I think we both ate maybe 8 strands before we fluffed up the pillows and sank down into our respective sofas again.

I just came into my office to reply to a few emails and realized.. oh shit. I never posted. I blame that f'n bird, folks. I don't ever want to see another turkey for AT LEAST 11 months. :P

Anyhoo.. nothing exciting (or chaos related) to say about this challenge.. pretty simple, except for the rolling of the dough - or should I call it, elasto-dough? I tried as much as I could with my puny muscles (which are being suffocated under all my fat) and the brace I am sporting on my right hand for the next two weeks! Are ya'll ready for this? Leave it to me. I swear to the baby Jebus, I am the only person I know who physically hurts herself IN HER SLEEP.

My doc figures that's how I did it.. she says I must be gripping my hands in my sleep. Like a death grip on the blankets or something. I managed to cause scarring to the sheath that wraps around the tendons in my right palm and between the thumb and index finger. She called it "trigger finger". I guess this happens mostly to the index finger and not the thumb? Anyhoo.. the scarring on the sheath causes the tendon to stick when it's moved.. so when I bend my thumb at the first joint, it sticks and HURTS LIKE HELL. Gawd and there's this awful clicking sound when it finally releases and my thumb goes back to it's natural position. Squick!

So yep.. rolling that dough was not going to happen by myself. So W stepped in, bless his cotton, reinforced toe, socks. The first few were too thick, so they were binned after frying.. but the rest were paper thin and blistered up nicely. I added a lil extra cinnamon to the dough and filled with a pumpkin/cream cheese filling that was divine. Frying was a cinch, since I'm the Frying Queen of NE Ohio. Oh and the only thing I did differently for me is that instead of makin' big honkin cannoli, I made minis because I figured no one would eat big ones since no one attending our Thanksgiving was really a fan of them (except me.. and I still only got ONE).

Lis.. you did an amazing job as hostess.. and your recipe is THE cannoli recipe I will use from now on. I also loved the idea of cannopolitans and plan on making those in the future as well. Love ya, chickie! :)

Photos will be added tomorrow.. it's now midnight and I must hit the sack, because God knows, I didn't get enough rest today. :P

xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Holy Cannoli! It's Reveal Day!!!"

 

Blogger Audax said ... (11/28/2009 9:07 AM) : 

Yes there seem to be a lot of missing photos of this challenge they went so quickly LOL LOL LOL can't wait to see your pixs. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (11/28/2009 9:54 AM) : 

Ouch! That must be tricky with your hand! I'm glad this challenge went well, and they sound delicious - especially that filling. Yum!!

 

Blogger Snooky doodle said ... (11/28/2009 10:14 AM) : 

Pity you don t have any photos . Ha you must have enjoyed Thanksgiving :) and ate alot :)

 

Anonymous Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said ... (11/28/2009 2:45 PM) : 

HA Hilarious post, Lisa! Glad you all loved the cannoli. Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Anonymous Lisa said ... (11/28/2009 6:07 PM) : 

YAAY..they worked out for you and you liked them, really liked them! I can't wait to seethe photos, although I'm bummed that we won't get to see your little mini cardiac arrests! Regardless, thank god for your cotton sock hubby and his rolling skills, because you could have killed your thumb for life if you tried to wrestle with the (LOL@) Elasto dough! That dough is like my ex..completely inflexible and JERKy. *kiss for your boo boo finger* Thanks for all the encouragement as I was thinking up challenges!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11/28/2009 6:54 PM) : 

Love to see your photos. It is always a challenge to have 99.9% of a celebration meal to prepare. Congratulations for getting through AND doing this months Daring Bakers Challenge.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/29/2009 12:13 AM) : 

I admit I'm addicted to some FB games as well....its a problem! Congratulations on getting through this challenge with the finger, thank goodness for sous-daring bakers hey?

 

Blogger Karin said ... (11/29/2009 11:14 PM) : 

O.U.C.H. What the heck do you dream about???

Okay, I can't wait to see pics.

 

Blogger Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said ... (11/29/2009 11:53 PM) : 

You are so funny! My daughter named our turkey - Bob. My husband and I were waiting for her to try and get us to free him into the wild, but since he'd already a goner...it was a little late.

I'm thrilled that your cannoli were so good they flew away with the speed of Superman.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

 

Anonymous kellypea said ... (12/08/2009 1:13 AM) : 

I SWEAR I read this post. What a loser I am. Seriously. I'm aching for your sore clicking trigger...thumb? I have no excuse for not cannoli-ing. None. I will try to reform ; )

 

post a comment