Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Traditional English "Pudding" and an Announcement

The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.


Thank God we were allowed to wimp out and use butter if we couldn't find suet and/or couldn't stomach it. I think I would have been okay with it, had I decided on making a savory pudding, but I've had this horrible gnawing chocolate craving lately that I just couldn't deny a minute longer. So I went with the Very Chocolate Pudding that lots of other members were going crazy over, and it used butter instead of suet.


I'm torn. I absolutely LOVED learning how to steam cake.. something I'd never even thought of doing before. I would love to do this again since the only dishes I dirtied were the Kitchenaid bowl, a spatula and 4 ramekins. I didn't even bother with measuring cups since the recipe was in grams, I just measured everything on a styrofoam plate on top of my scale, then and dumped it all in. Other than for my photos, I'm not even going to have to dirty a plate, as we'll just dig right into the ramekins. Nice.


So why am I torn? The flavor was great.. but I over steamed. I figured for the large single pudding directions in the recipe, quartered into the ramekins, that my steam time would drop by 45 minutes. Well.. they were probably done in 30 minutes. They weren't completely dry, but they were definitely on the side of a "cakey brownie" which I don't like. I like fudgey brownies and airy cake.. so the texture didn't thrill me. But that's my fault, I should have checked them in 30 minutes.


Since I don't make cake often (Lord knows I'd like to) I'm not sure the next one will be steamed or traditionally baked.. although I've seen some flavor combos and photos in the private DB forums that have absolutely made my heart flutter in envy (check out the photos in the slider!).

Regardless though, I truly am thankful for a great lesson in steaming something other than broccoli. :D Thanks so much, Esther!!! xoxo

I don't know why I feel the need to even announce this as most of the readers of this blog have figured it out by now, but food blogging is no longer a passion of mine. I still love LOVE LOVE to cook and occasionally bake.. but to go through the motions of taking horribly lit and out of focus photos, and then trying to come up with a witty post, when frankly, most times in ,my kitchen don't merit a giggle.

A lot of my time is taken working on The Daring Kitchen website and working with all the wonderful people who have helped to make it the success that it is. And kids? It's fakkin exhausting to work that hard on one project and find the inspiration to work on another project that just doesn't trip your trigger any more, yanno? So I've decided to kinda cut some stress and concentrate on the DK and finally stop stressing over not updating this blog much anymore.

You'll find an occasional post regarding a DB or DC challenge here (I've already completed my May DC challenge so it'll be up in a couple weeks), but truthfully, I'm not even really participating all that much anymore. I've decided to focus on the "behind the scenes" duties of the website, hoping to keep present and future members happy and interested in learning how to cook and bake better.

One day the passion to create new recipes to share with ya'll might come back.. who knows.. but for now.. my mojo has pretty much dried up. ;) I am happy to say that I've not lost the passion to make a total ass of myself on the internet and have started a new non-foodie blog where I can just update whenever I want and talk about whatever I want.. once I'm comfortable with the direction it's going, I'll post a link and maybe ya'll can check it out for a giggle or two.

Hugs!
xoxoxo

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Traditional English "Pudding" and an Announcement"

 

Blogger Audax said ... (4/27/2010 1:55 AM) : 

Great that you did the challenge and the photo looks delicious. Sorry to hear about taking a break but it will recharge your batteries. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (4/27/2010 2:35 AM) : 

oh no! but yeah i figured that out. I hope we'll be in touch behind the scenes too though! The pud looks great! I was a bit unsure of this one too and wimped out with the suet too!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4/27/2010 6:31 AM) : 

I'm so sorry to see you go! You were one of this first blogs I followed! Still sticking around, the chocolate pudding looks amazing!!

 

Anonymous bunkycooks said ... (4/27/2010 10:18 AM) : 

I wimped out on the suet, too (post up later today)! I like the no fuss chocolate cake...just eat it right out of the ramekins! :) Food blogging is definitely a full-time job and a passion, so I understand your change of focus. Have fun in your new project!

 

Blogger Mary said ... (4/27/2010 7:24 PM) : 

Thanks so much for all you do with the Daring Kitchen--I really enjoy being a part of the group. That said, baking and cooking definitely appeal more than the blogging bit much of the time for me too. Best of luck with your new blog! Oh, and your puddings look pretty good too:)

 

Blogger Barbara Bakes said ... (4/27/2010 8:52 PM) : 

Can I get a raise the roof for the May DC challenge! lol I'm so glad you were inspired to participate in that one.

Sorry your Very Chocolate Pudding was dry :-( Stop by and see my very moist Very Chocolate Pudding. I'll share!

 

Blogger Elle said ... (4/28/2010 12:30 AM) : 

Lis you work harder on the DK than most people do at their job...or marriage...or favorite hobby. It is very much appreciated by many. Sorry your hilarious posts will not be here but in time it might all be funny again and less like work. Big hugs! XOXO Elle

 

Blogger Karin said ... (4/28/2010 6:51 PM) : 

I am gonna miss you...love your updates...they keep me going. But I totally understand. I have been doing more cakes and with 3 kids it is tough... I will still follow you in hopes of a random update... (((hugs)))

 

Blogger Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said ... (4/29/2010 11:27 PM) : 

I love all the chocolate chips on your pudding and it looks great, even though you said it was over steamed. :) I understand about losing your mojo--it happens and I hope you are able to figure out what direction to go in with your blog. But know that you are doing a fantastic job with the Daring Kitchen and I'm so glad to be a part of this great community that you started. :)

 

Blogger Aparna Balasubramanian said ... (4/30/2010 3:56 AM) : 

Its sad to hear that you'll no longer be here, but I understand. You've made me laugh with many of your posts and guess, we'll be seeing you at the DK! :)

 

Blogger Fabi said ... (4/30/2010 6:03 AM) : 

Honestly, I don't know how you managed to keep up with everything so far.
Please let us know soon the link to your new site. But don't stop baking or cooking. You can "park" a passion for a while, but you cant' forget it, and we will be missing your posts.
Big hug from Fabi in Madrid Spain.

 

Blogger cuppy said ... (5/01/2010 4:09 AM) : 

Mmmm... that looks wonderful!

I knew I wouldn't have the continued momentum to be a blogger, which is why my site is just recipes. ;) I hope you'll enjoy your time off and the behind-the-scenes work. Just remember it's supposed to be fun, not just work... work.. work. :D

I'm certainly glad you put in all the effort to make us so happy at the DK. :)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/03/2010 10:53 AM) : 

Thanks you guys! *muah* xoxoxo

 

Blogger Ago said ... (5/28/2010 10:04 AM) : 

:-( Oh Lisa...I'm so afraid that you don't write more here...I love your blog and sometimes I come here to see if there are news :-(
I understand that you are stressed and it's right that you've a break, but...come back soon! :-****

 

Blogger TeaLady said ... (6/14/2010 6:30 PM) : 

I will definitly miss your posts, but appreciate all you do for the DB.

 

Anonymous Michelle@TastyThailand said ... (6/15/2010 2:47 AM) : 

Ooh, that photo makes me want to lick the computer screen :)

Sorry to hear you're not going to be posting more :(

 

Blogger myFudo said ... (7/13/2011 6:56 AM) : 

I have a friend in NC who wanted to make a pudding for Christmas. She called on me for help as she couldn't get a hold of suet. I live in VA. I have a local butcher who is wonderful! He gave me enough suet to make puddings for the next 10 years. It was frozen, disgusting looking. My husband, who worked in NC at the time delivered the suet. He was so glad to get rid of it when my friend picked it up because he declared that it was like traveling with a biohazard. I think, if I ever make a pudding, even with access to suet, I'll wimp out and opt for butter!

 

post a comment